The Fury of Our Maker's Hand review by DevilDriver

• Released: Jun 28, 2005
DevilDriver: The Fury of Our Maker's Hand

While I was familiar with devildrvier, this is the first devildriver CD I purchased when I had only heard the coalchamber musis beforehand. I got the special edition which comes with some special live songs and a DVD with performance footage that really makes the CD all the better when you have something to listen to.Reminiscent of Coal chamber on few levels to me, the much grander and epic songs that are on this CD helps me to understand why people go and get the Devildriver symbol tatoo on their face or some random location like that. The Drop C tuning was one of the first things I noticed on this CD. The only other band that I could sort of relate this band to is Daath. The vocal quality is almost of the same quality and makes me wonder if Sean Farber was actually filling in for Dez. The 2nd thing I noticed was the drumming ability. I don't know the drummers name but he keeps it tight and I find the beats catchy enough to want to mosh in my living room, or headbang while I'm driving to or from work. The 3rd thing I noticed was the live tracks. After hearing them and seeing the footage on the DVD, this makes devildriver one of the bands I have to see before I die. Grinf*cked with it's flat second egyptian sounding pulse is a favorite of mine on the CD and is the only one I currently have on my iPod.

Deeper than any death metal bands lyrics, less confusing than Red Hot Chili Peppers lyrics, and relatively easy to understand if you are trying to. Being a guitar player, I listen mainly for guitar skill and not the quality of the singer as often, but Dez's vocal skills contribute to the CD, however, they do not live. The lyrical masterpeice in my mind is sin & sacrifice which is a "fade to black-esque" song in my mind. it's not Tool that's for sure.

Since this is the first Devildriver CD I've gotten so far the coparibility is kind of difficult to make. The only thing I can say to fans of Devildriver is to check out Daath because that's the only similiar band I can think of off the top of my head. If I could reccomend any song I would say check out Hold Back The Day and Grinf*cked.It is probaly not the most brutal or fast or extreme of whatever you want to call it but it stands as an exellent testament to modern metal and a force to be reckened with in songwriting ability but as a whole is not that innovation when it comes to bringing something exotic to the table.