The Last Kind Words review by DevilDriver

• Released: Jun 18, 2007
DevilDriver: The Last Kind Words

It's been about four years into the Devildriver career, I figure it's a step in the right direction since Coal Chamber. And from what I can figure, nothing's changed. Now, don't get me wrong. I love this band a lot. They are good musicians and performers no doubt, but as far as innovation is concerned, it appears to be nonexistent. I've noticed a recurring theme in each of Devildriver's albums is the overwhelming "pressured emotion". The writer, Dez, wants you to feel his emotions. Now emotions are one of the driving powers behind music. No emotion, no good, right? But it can't be a crutch for a lack of anything new. Now it's not an arguable point that they are good musicians, talented to their respective instruments, but what does that leave you? Innovative concepts and a fresh ideas are what keep an interest into the metal scene. Understandably Devildriver is a band who has a lot of technicality and talent to their instuments. The songs are fast and intense or slow and powerful, but it's pretty much the same as the last album.

As far as the actual songwriting goes, I see it somewhat overshadowed by the immense lyrical ideas pushed around. I've noticed a recurring theme in each of Devildriver's albums is the overwhelming "pressured emotion". The writer, Dez, wants you to feel his emotions. Now emotions are one of the driving powers behind music. No emotion, no good, right? But it can't be a crutch for a lack of anything new. The lyrics are good, but they're the same.

As I said above, Devildriver is a good band and by no means are they mediocre musicians. Now this may be editorializing but I think that a sense of evolving and changing within the boundaries can greatly enhance an artists music. So if this is your first foray into the Devildriver sound, by all means get this CD. It encompasses all of the ideas and technique from the first and second album, and mixes them into a conglomerate of both. A happy medium, if you will.