Infinity Review

Devin Townsend: Infinity
Released: Oct 21, 1998
Genre: Progressive metal, Progressive rock
Label: HevyDevy Records
This album is a strong addition to Devin's Catalog. Devin also said in an interview that this album has to be his favorite solo album he has created.
 9.5
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Infinity Reviewed by: jg928, on november 26, 2010

Sound: When I First heard of Devin Townsend, he was singing for Steve Vai, Then Ultimately his Strapping Young Lad project. After The Album City Came out in 1997, Devin went on with his first Solo Release Ocean Machine: Biomech. He Innovation on the music was this, simple yet complex songs that are added on deeper emotion with the sounds of Keyboards, ambiance, and power vocals. Infinity is a different sounding record. The addition of horned instruments and choirs adds more musical tone to the album that surpasses Biomech, but the Formula stays the same, Simple, complex songs, with deeper meaning. On the Album Devin recruits veteran drummer Gene Hoglan to provide the drums on the record, and Devin also plays all the guitars and bass on the album. At first, this album to me was just another album, but honestly, the guitar riffs are memorable and the drumming is more than solid. The reason it sounds so differently makes this album really grow on you. // 9

Lyrics: Here is where we get to the Lyrics, and where we break down my personal favorite songs on the album. The first song to start off the album is Truth, easy to talk about here. There are no lyrics, but that doesn't really mean that we can review it. The philosophy of this song is basically you don't need words to express a song, the music should do it regardless. The song just takes off after he plays the opening lick and it just sends you off into another atmosphere. Just waiting to hear it kick in just anticipates how well its gonna be. The Choir comes in and I instantly get the chills, such a perfect song to start this album off. My Next Favorite song would be Track 2, Christeen. The song, who was also written by The Wildhearts frontman Ginger. It has a sort of a pop element to the song, and that's why christeen became the Single for Infinity. Really not much to explain here, the song just really does the talking. The Last song on my list would be Noisy Pinkbubbles. Now no words can reflex on how this song makes me feel, the different sounds and all the "Noisy Pinkbubbles" just make you feel like your flying on cloud 9. The Vocals on the track are amazing. Devin goes from a soft singing voice, to a strong Falsetto in just over a second. // 10

Overall Impression: All in all, this album is a strong addition to Devin's Catalog. Devin also said in an interview that this album has to be his favorite solo album he has created. I can't pick great songs and pick bad songs, all the songs are either very solid, or just memorable. I love this album because you can listen to heavy album like Strapping Young Lad's City, Alien, or Heavy as a Really Heavy thing, and then pop this in, and listen to the opening riff of Truth and you instantly know that its a very different experimental album. Devin Townsend's Album never sound the same, the production is always top notch and very polished, but the guitar tone is very different, can go to a spacey effect, to a beautifully clean tone. The Bass tone is very clean and pleasant, and Devin does a great job of playing bass. I think the only reason I don't like this album is that its not longer. The Christeen EP is a great addition to the album. Which Includes a couple more songs, including the 11 minute song Processional which is basically 4 songs into one, Star Child Rise, Welcome home, Metamorph, and Infinite Waltz. If you have time to really enjoy a moving song, I would recommend this song. I would buy this and then get the Christeen EP to get the full effect of the album. // 10

Comments