Terria Review

Devin Townsend: Terria
Release Date: Nov 6, 2001
Label: Sony International
Genres: Progressive Metal, Heavy Metal
The layered vocals, solid grooves, superb melodies, unrestrained emotions, and consistent production quality make this a truly great album.
 9.9
 9.7
 1,398
Terria Reviewed by: MexicanPissHats, on february 21, 2008

Sound: Devin Townsend albums are notorious for their aggressive power, extreme emotion, deep intricate metaphors and timeless beautiful songs. I've found that of the three Devin Townsend albums I own (I also own 'Accelerated Evolution' and 'Biomech') Terria is truly a triumph for him. Listening to songs like 'Earth Day' and 'Canada' let you truly feel what he felt when writing the songs, and experience what mental images and messages he wanted to put across. The songs really paint the picture, and convey the emotion and atmosphere fantastically. Production-wise, the sound is nothing short of powerful. Devin has the rare ability to write songs that are 'simple' on a technical basis (except for 'Deep Peace') and have the vocal, synth and guitar layers making the song what it is. The drums sound awesome too, and everything else is crisp and clear. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics as I mentioned above, have many, many complicated layers of metaphors just by using very simple phrasing (and it's also entertaining for the lyric reader who doesn't search for hidden meanings and poetic technique). An example is the opening song 'Olives': "Come in/Right this way/Sit down/Martini?/stir your drink?/Olive?" That's all there is to the song for lyrics. I'm not certain that Devin meant to hide all these different levels of meaning, but I see it as: the contradiction between somebody telling them what to do half the time, and then asking them what to do for the other half; how people in a new age hierarchy wait upon other people and live to serve them; (literal term) welcoming the listener to the rest of the album. These can go on. Devin's singing is excellent. He can do any voice he wants to. His vocal harmonies in 'Earth Day', 'Mountain' and 'Deep Peace' are phenomenal. You really have to hear it to know what I mean. // 10

Overall Impression: While writing this review, I'm advised to be critical, not to give superficial, glowing reviews. To be honest, there is absolutely nothing I can say about this album negatively. It is progressive metal, so a few mainstream listeners may find it a bit farfetched and weird, but this is exactly how I want my music done, as creative and in-depth as possible, beside being very catchy yet simple, and carrying true emotion throughout (without the whingey, screamy emo method). If you are looking for innovative, creative metal, and have money to buy an album, this should be it. If you don't have money to buy the album, Devin Townsend has a Myspace page where you can listen to 'Canada' and hear what I mean. The only thing I hate about this album, is that I can't write stuff like this. // 10

Terria Reviewed by: stargazer5000, on february 14, 2011

Sound: Devin Townsend is one of the most difficult musicians to describe in the music business today. His knack for creating music that speaks straight to the soul and being able to do it using so many colours and soundscapes is truly remarkable. He is a "pure" musician, if you will. He has no regard for trying to fit into a genre or style, and instead plays music that comes DIRECTLY from his heart. Terria is almost definitly the best showcase of this. It has everything a Devin Townsend album should have. The "wall of sound" production, beautifully unusual lyrics, soaring melody and lush soundscapes. But the unique thing about Terria is the fact that the songs are some of the most personal, and strongly felt songs that Devin has ever written. A big call, considering the rest of his work is similar, but Terria has something that his other solo work does not. For that, this album is a winner. It's rare that heavy music can bring a tear to the eye, but for those of you up for a dash od beauty among the normal bulldozer of metal, this could do just that. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very emotional, and to the uneducated listener could definitly be quite hard to decipher. But in songs like "Mountain", where Devin sings about the loss of his pet dog, the lyrics are so simple that the enormous riff coupled with the words "You Are So Beautiful To Me" simply puts you in a state of euphoria if you let yourself get absorbed by it. Even the instumental stuff emotes so powerfully that you will find your imagination running wild. Songs like "Earth Day" and "The Fluke" manage to be extremely catchy as well. The wonderful sing-along of "Stagnant" is one of the more "down to earth" moments on the album. And "Canada" has one of the most enormous opening riffs ever! // 10

Overall Impression: It's impossible to compare Devin with other artists. His creativity knows no bounds. Gene Hoglan features on drums, but he isn't just going insane on the double kick pedals which is very refreshing! This is simply one of the most beautiful heavy records of all time. It can take many repeat listens before all of it's multi-faceted treasures sink in. But it's worth it. If you let yourself connect with this music, you will be enjoying this album this album for a long time. // 10

Comments