Addicted review by Devin Townsend Project

• Released: Nov 17, 2009
Devin Townsend Project: Addicted

Fans of strapping young lad should turn away. Now. This is not the heavy devin townsend, but his more experimental mind surfacing. Not saying that this is no good, not at all, this is a good CD! The vocals are a bit layered behind all the other sounds, but that just adds to the wall of sound pounding your face off. The presence of guest vocalist Anneke van Giersbergen is dominating at times, but not controlling, as devin shines through as a metal Pavarotti. This is going to be a long review, given that there is so much going on, but my working time is nothing compared to the time that must have been spent on this album. 01. Addicted!: It all starts with a monstrous riff that soon turns to an effect-laden experience. Annekes clean vocals paves the way for devins growling shrieks. The anthemic chorus made me start noddin my head and it did not wear off until the song was finished. The mid part being a psychedelic lead, and the song even dabbles with double bass drums! It ends with synths who fade into the next song... 02. Universe In A Ball!: This is by far my favourite, a not very hard to learn riff showing tremendous power. This is another devin-dominated song, and it showcases his talent for melodic growling. The midpart is hilarious, being some kind of evil nintendo part. A strong chorus, and a strong song. The drums are as heavy as they are groovy and I find myself noddin once again. 03. Bend It Like Bender!. This track is good fun. Its where the poppy feeling first enters, and you can hear it several times through the record. The chorus by Anneke reminds me of ABBA, but strangely enough, it works. 04. Supercrush!: Now thats downtuned guitar! The first vocal entry sounds slightly African actually, when I think about it. Even though the female vocals remind me of ABBA, they also remind me of delain, but at the last refrain they ABSOLUTELY reminds me of ABBA. 05. Hyperdrive!: The first riff is metalcore by the rulebook! The rest of the song aint. Features memorable vocal hooks and probably the strangest lyrics ever. Once again I get the poppy feeling. 06. Resolve!: you hear the evil laughter, an very ac/dc metal riff, and a scale solo ala John Petrucci. A less strong song with a chant of "I, I, I" after the chorus. An ok song, but no star in the book. 07. Ih-ah!: The only ballad-like acoustic song on the album. I love it. An incredibly catchy tune with duet parts sent from Satan himself. But the let down of Ihs and Ahs leave me utterly pissed. An excellent song, with one destroying factor. 08. The Way Home!: My other favourite. The dreamy intro prepares us for Devins magnificent vocal performance. The song is filled with synths, if you listen closely. It all seems over pretty fast, which is a problem. 09. Numbered!: this is a song for the guitarists, cause this track has got amazing riffs! And the symphonic metal singing sounds impressive. At the end it turns heavy, before it ends softly in a gentle manner. Job done. 10. Awake!: This is the album epic, and the album heavy! It puts everything Devins known for into 9 minutes. Okay, maybe not, but that's not possible, is it? The album ends on a high note, and the metal genius has gained another fan.

Unfortunately, the lyrics don't stand the test. The weirdness is not the problem, but it quickly gets samey. The repetition parts on Ih-Ah is bad, and what you hear on the last tracks, you hear on the first too. If I was to rate only the lyrics, I would have chosen 5, but the vocal performances is stunning. This CD opened my mind for girls in metal, big time! And the man himself, would not seem out of place as a opera singer. Not that I want him to join that league! For the uplifting singing, I will give this part a 7.

This is something only Devin could have created! Its powerful, brilliant, and mostly heavy like a neutron star. The synths does not drag the CD down, and the man shows himself as a decent guitarist. The rythmic drums made me move a lot of times, and that's not bad for drums sounding like poppy beats. It suited the songs perfectly! A highly recommend this CD to people into progressive and industrial, and everyone interested in GOOD metal. I really need to get this CD!

gnurph
    I discovered Devin Townsend on accident. It was last March (2012) as part of a contest (watch this concert online, enter to win his sig Peavey guitar). Holy sh-t have I been missing out! the concert was basically Addicted! in its entirety, and my mind was blown. A measly 5 months later, and I own all 4 currently available + the By a Thread box set, 3 by Devin Townsend (solo) and 3 by Devin Townsend Band (no Strapping Young Lad yet). I've discovered a musician with the range of musical styles the runs the gamut of all the music I like, with just about the same oddball sense of humor, and a huge back catologue. That said, Addicted! is by far my favorite album he's done (at least, that I've heard so far). I probably listen to it at least 5 times a week.
    Disturbdkornkid
    Absolutely amazing album, and seeing him with Cynic, Scale the Summit, and Between the Buried and Me was pretty damn tits.
    SLonergan
    Everyone who hasn't listened to this album should ****in' DO IT NOW! Also, please buy it...Devy deserves the help.
    BDKR
    Mind_Reader7
    BDKR wrote: A couple of people have forgotten, or perhaps didn't know, that Hyperdrive wasn't origonally from this album. It first appeared on Ziltoid. Long time Dev/SYL fans will most likely notice that bits of lyrics have a tendency to pop up over and over again in various songs. At the start of Addicted, there is a passage from Awake. And once again in Supercrush, there is passage or a reference to a passage from Skeksis: "You've already gone". Rockin' F'en album.
    Wait til you hear Deconstruction. It's an amazing album, but a lot of the lyrics are form other songs.