Greatest Hits Review

Label: Warner Bros
 8.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Greatest Hits Reviewed by: N3WW4V3N1NJ4, on september 19, 2013

Sound: Devo are one of those bands you either love or hate, there is no in-between. They were one of the earliest New Wave groups and New Wave as a genre is pretty much you like the vast majority of it, or else you dislike the vast majority of it. The first Devo Greatest Hits collection (this one, in case you couldn't tell), was released in 1990 and to this day remains the only single disc hits collection by this band, at least, as far as I know. It is a very enjoyable CD, offering at least a couple of tracks from each of the first eight studio albums, recorded by Devo, spanning 1978 to 1990. // 9

Lyrics: The instrumentation of the songs on this album and for that matter, all of the songs I've ever heard by Devo, is enjoyably weird. Not surprisingly, the lyrics have a close to exactly equivalent degree of enjoyable weirdness. It all meshes together nicely and if you are a fan of bands like Talking Heads, The Cars, Duran Duran, or pretty much anything considered New Wave, then you won't be disappointed. The MTV era was awesome that way, deal with it. Also, I probably don't need to mention this, but there are a couple interesting cover songs on here. // 8

Overall Impression: For being the only single disc hits collection by Devo, that I know of, it's very well put together. There's 16 tracks, with the full running time at just over an hour. All the songs the casual listener might be aware of are here and then some more stuff. The one problem I have with this CD is the opening song. For some reason, it just annoys me and if it were up to me, I would have put, maybe, their excellent Hendrix cover "R You Experienced," or "Uncontrollable Urge," or really any other song in its place. Even with that, however, this is a great compilation and if you don't know who Devo are, this is a fine place to start. // 10

Comments