Lightning To The Nations review by Diamond Head

• Released: Oct 3, 1980
Diamond Head: Lightning To The Nations

Also known as "The White Album," "Lightning to the Nations" stands to be one of the most influential heavy metal albums of all time that hardly ever got heard. In fact, the band's work probably would have still remained obscure hadn't Metallica, undoubtedly the most popular band of the metal genre, covered 5 of the 7 songs from the album. And that stands to be Diamond Head's biggest selling point: if they inspired Metallica, they had to be good. And good they are. Though probably not great, "Lightning to the Nations" is one of the most unadulterated all-out rocking albums of all-time.

From the opening and title-track, their potential is immediately proven. With some of the greatest riffs of the metal genre, Diamond Head serve up metal as it had never been done until that point, and probably never will be again. Combining powerful guitar-driven elements, rough drumming, smooth basslines and monumental vocals, Diamond Head create and master a style all their own.

Though the original album only consists of 7 tracks (on the remastered edition, there are 8 bonus tracks; more than there are regular tracks), nearly every song delivers the goods. From beautiful ballad-like instrumental sections (the interlude of "Sucking My Love") to retrospective '60s British rock-ish nostalgia ("It's Electric") to just raw metal ("Am I Evil?"), "Lightning to the Nations" remains a masterpiece of epic proportions. Though Diamond Head themselves don't stand very tall in the music world, they deserve immense credit where credit is due for creating one of the most influential metal albums of all-time. If you're a fan of any kind of metal, or even just rock in general, this album is a must-buy.

freedomdeceptiv
    i love diamond head, but i noticed some riffs get repeated a bit too much but the best track is definitely Am I Evil?!
    miauwmjam
    I listened to Garage Inc. long before this cd. Thought it couldn't be better. However, I was wrong. DH > tallica. Sucking My Love is my fav song (the longer the better, psychedelic music rocks) and I was pleasantly surprised that The Prince is much longer that it's cover. Album goes in my top 10 ever.
    livewire76
    Shockingly few comments here! Ditto reviews. Good ones at least. Hehe This album is so good it should be physically forced into the ears and minds of rock/metal fans around the world. It'd blow them all away! And give Diamond Head the credit they really deserve. A giant of an album. Check out the live album 'Live at the BBC' too. Highly recommended for amazing live versions.