Abrahadbra review by Dimmu Borgir

• Released: Sep 22, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Dimmu Borgir: Abrahadbra

For a Dimmu Borgir album, Abrahadabra isn't their strongest album but it isn't all bad either. Dimmu Borgir employed the use of a great choir and orchestra for this album and that is one of the few redeeming qualities of this album. You can still tell that it's a Dimmu album even though it's lacking in content. It just isn't the same band since keyboardist Mustis and bassist/clean vocalist Vortex left the band.

The lyrics are nothing short of standard Dimmu Borgir. Religious scorn is abundant yet again in this album. Shagrath once again shows us why he is still among black metal's finest vocalists. His voice fits the music perfectly. The lyrics do a decent job of setting the tone for the album which is very dark and gothic. Freedom of opression from religion is again the main theme for Dimmu on Abrahadabra. Nothing new there.

This album is mediocre at best. The album feels like it was produced just for the sake of producing one. The biggest problem with this album is that most of the songs don't really stand out and are bland and predictable at best. There are a couple of songs that stand apart from the rest, though. "Born Treacherous" and "Gateways" are the two tracks that stand out the most. These tracks have that "Dimmu vibe" that we've all come to love and expect from Dimmu Borgir. It's on these two songs that they sound like the Dimmu Borgir of old. If you are a die-hard Dimmu Borgir fan and feel like you must buy this album just for the sake of having it in your collection, I'd advise you to think carefully about it. Having it for your collection is the only way I can justify buying this album. This album is a bit of a disappointment for those who know how great Dimmu Borgir is and how great their previous albums are.

HardAttack
    c0bhc wrote: im confused as to why this isnt rated as a great album? its my favorite by them so far
    Because a lot of people can't deal with change, and a hand full of people who are posting here don't even like the band to begin with and shouldn't even be on this page.