Death Cult Armageddon review by Dimmu Borgir

• Released: Sep 9, 2003
Dimmu Borgir: Death Cult Armageddon

It is about time I reviewed this cd. Why? Cause I've practically listened to it on repeat since I bought it several months ago. Growing up in a Christian home (yet I myself am not so much that anymore) I was semi-weary about picking this up because of the standard "Satanist" symbol on the front, and concidering the fact that I tend to watch out for little kids who will be around me (and more importantly my car). To my surprise, this album is really good. Concidering the "satanic" themes they are really not too bad at all, to say the least. Sure, it's a different perspective; but there's nothing wrong with that right? Anyways, Dimmu's sound on this album is awesome. it's perfect actually. The keyboards and orchestration are beautifully arranges, as well as the guitars and drums (double bass at times! ). Shagrath has amazingly interesting vocals that go between screeching, squealing, yelling, etc. He sounds kind of like he's inhaled and is trying to talk without breathing. it's cool. I enjoy how their arrangements are very heavy metal, but they also have classical components. It makes the band more interesting than your average band.

The lyrics are pretty good. Prognies of the Great Apocolypse has the best lyrics, as they seem to coincide more with real satanism. At times the lyrics are kind of corny, but the corniness doesn't really prevail ever on this album. Shagraths growling coincides great with the lyrics, and Vortex (the bassist/operaic singer) provides amazing singing sections when he is involved (though this is rare on this album). His voice is stunning to say the least and counteracts Shagraths screaming very well.

When I think of Dimmu Borgir I like to think of their music like this: Even if they have a mediocre song here or there, those mediocre songs are still more amazing than your average pop-rock song. What I am getting at is that, even bad Dimmu Borgir is still pretty good. However; this album is great. I love the whole album, everything about it. I would probably buy it again eventually if I lost it.

Chris_32746
    i just saw these guys live, and they were garbage... i don't know. like the cd's but not a good live band at all as far as vocals and bass. all other is top notch.
    Visual6
    It wasn't what I expected from Dimmu... It's nice, yes, but they've become too soft...
    I agree, it's all right they put some symphonic elements in their songs but sometimes too much.
    Loki_37
    I don't even know. How does this only have 6 comments!? The album overall is pretty good, nice Symphonic/Orchestral Black Metal. Mainstream? Yeah probably, but they still whoop the ass out of almost of these poser/scene/core bands. Progenies Of the Great Apocalypse may be the greatest song of all time.
    swave75
    I really love this cd. The symphonic element is quite good to my ears. Others may hate it but I think it is their sound.