Enthrone Darkness Triumphant review by Dimmu Borgir

• Released: May 27, 1997
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Dimmu Borgir: Enthrone Darkness Triumphant

Eh, decent for what it is. The keyboards rock! In my humble opinion, if it weren't for the keyboards this band would be crap. Not to say they don't have other virtues, for example the drums. Incredible to say the least. Black Metal (or whatever you call this stuff) does not lend itself to being recorded well, but they've done just about as good a job as can be done in that regard - which isn't that great.

Don't know. Quite honestly I burned it so I don't even have the lyrics. Don't want them, either. I am not scared of Satan nor of anyone who professes to believe in or worship Satan. I simply don't care. Writing about Satan is an excuse to not think - and to make a living as an "artist" when in fact there is not a shred of creativity in the whole deal.

Overall, I have to say it is a good record, certainly their strongest effort. Stylistically, it is a bit out-dated in that I can clearly pinpoint all the ways Black Metal has improved since this was recorded; namely better guitar sounds, more clearly defined drums and bass and a merciful end to the cheesy women saying supposedly scary things in Finnish or whatever. This album has all sorts of that going on, but it's pretty good. Definitely one I will give a spin occasionally, and maybe even crank it in the best parts. By the way, I realize my obvious ignorance as to where in Europe this band comes from (somewhere cold, I think) and I must explain in advance that I simply do not care. Does it really matter? Their supposed "Satanism" tells me all I need to know about them already, where they're from is irrelevant. Still, they do rock. They get a 4.

Mahoru
    This denotes you don't understand anything about black metal lol It's one of the greatest pillars of this kind of music, and it's a great job in nearly every aspect.
    hamsterman64
    I agree with everyone here! I just got into these guys, and this is one of my favorite CDs along with In Sorte Diaboli. I actually like this one more. I don't really care too much about the lyrics, because I focus on the instrumental side of music more than anything else, but when I do listen to them, they are really cool. I'm not a Satanist, and I don't believe you have to be to appreciate this stuff for what it is... AWESOME. It's bands like these that inspire me in my guitar playing.
    Derz
    you dont know anything about metal! you shouldnt do such silly reviews its one of the best albums ever!
    I_Collect_Picks
    Enthrone Darkness Triumphant is a black metal master piece. Dimmu Borgir are one of the best black metal bands (and the most-well known, which aint sayin much)
    NokturnalMe
    What a stupid review. How can they allow some fool to review one of the best bands in the world? Doesn't even mention all the cool songs on it like Mourning Palace, Spellbound etc. Stupid ass. This cd needs a freaking 10.
    Metallicazx
    Uhm yeah..this guy needs to1 learn his music before he starts judging anything. Learn that there from NORWAY and take a chance and listen to older Borgir, as well as other bands such as Immortal, Darkthrone, Mayhem, Carpathian Forest..then he can review this album. For now, it should get a 9/10. At Borgir's peak no doubt.