Enthrone Darkness Triumphant review by Dimmu Borgir

• Released: May 27, 1997
Dimmu Borgir: Enthrone Darkness Triumphant

The sound on this album is amazing. The mixing and production is perfect. The guitarists used a Maxon OD808 tube overdrive pedal alongside a Mesa Dual Rectifier to get a deep, warm tone. They aren't the first to use this setup, but it lends itself perfectly to the music. The drumset was a Pearl Masters set, which has excellent tone and gives the music so much power. Double bass is used to add to the atmosphere, and blast beats are played, with awesome accents on the cymbals (5:03 in Mourning Palace for example). The keyboards are also very good on this album. Entrance has the cool sounding chords all the way through it, In Death's Embrace and Prudence's Fall have great piano parts and across most of the album choir voices are used. All of this comes together to create an unforgettable, incredibly powerful atmosphere.

The lyrics are Satanic, yes. They definitely suit the music. Personally I like the lyrics for Entrance and Prudence's Fall the most. The lyrics for Spellbound are probably the weakest. Shagrath's unique sounding vocals are deeper on this album than they are on the Devil's Path EP. Effects are used in most of the songs to turn his voice into a deep growl. The screamed vocals are also really powerful sounding, especially in the parts where they have recorded two vocal tracks (2:03 in Mourning Palace, "Feel the gloom of restless spirits, hear the screams from the Mourning Palace"). I think this album is where Shagrath's vocals are at their best, his style changed a lot for Spiritual Black Dimensions and albums after that. I would have given them full marks, but the lyrics let the album down (only a very small amount).

This album isn't true Black Metal. Compare it to Mayhem, Emperor, etc. I wouldn't know what it is though. Genres are f--ked up anyway. On my iPod, all of the songs have 5 stars except for Spellbound, The Night Masquerade and A Succubus in Rapture (they have 4 stars or something). This is the best album I own. I've lost count of how many times I've listened to it since I found it just over a year ago. If it were stolen, I'd certainly replace it (though not with the Nuclear Blast deluxe edition because it has an ugly cover, buy the normal edition). Yes, even the album art is great. Enthrone Darkness Triumphant is one album I will definitely not get tired of listening to.

theberzerker!!!
    This album is great, i would give it 9.5/10. I have to agree with you saying the instrument set up was great. It is probably the best set up they have used so far
    jet981
    Along with Immortal's "sons of northern darkness"this is the ****ing EPITOMY(i think i spell't that wrong)of Black metal!!!! LONG LIVE DIMMU!!!
    Skullshrinker
    all songs are excellent on this album and enthrone darkness triumphant is one of the best releases ever !!!
    SatanPriest
    Borgir's best album. I love the tone of the guitars, especially during the short solos in Spellbound (By The Devil) and In Death's Embrace. Keyboards kickass too. Doesn't even compare to hearing it live though.
    TempleOfMonkeys
    yeah the guitar tone is pretty sweet. Shame you have to have a Mesa Rectifier to get anything like it...
    RZK88
    Funny review... Anyway this is a 10/10 album in my opinion.