In Sorte Diaboli review by Dimmu Borgir

• Released: Apr 24, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 3.7 Poor
Dimmu Borgir: In Sorte Diaboli

The sound on this album varies. On certain songs it has amazing riffs and great vocals but on others it sounds like the downfall of dimmu. My favorite song on this album is the Heritic Hammer and my least favorite one is The serpentine offering. This song had no flow and instead of being ballsy black metal it sounded like a symphony fronted by Shagrath. I'm giving this 5 stars because I only enjoyed half the album.

The lyrics on this album werent too good. The whole idea of a concept album is to tell a Story. Opeth makes amazing concept albums that have a real story that make you want to relive it. In sorte diaboli made me feel like it was written by a untalented band which Dimmu are not. The story is of a priest who leaves the congregation and becomes the descendant of satan. This doesnt't bother me, I'm protestant yet listen to mayhem and other black metal but I feel this was really weak. Shagraths voice seems to have deteriorated over the years to the point that he can still pull off gutteral growls but is not capable of what he was earlier.

This does not compare to Death Cult Armaggedon, their breakthrough album. The most impressive songs are The heritic hammer and Invaluable darkness. I love how they can make a album so strong but I hate how there seems to be no flow on lots of the album. If I lost or broke this album I would not buy it again as I think this is a waste of time to listen to the entire album. it's a mix of emotions with this so I'm going to give it 4 stars for giving me a rollercoaster ride of enjoyment to dispair.

madbass
    I completley agree with shaggydogJV. I haven't listened to this album yet, but I bet you anything I know exactly what it is going to sound like. Simply put, booooororoorooorrrriingng gg! Damn you posers! Listen to good black metal, like Burzum, Darkthrone, Celtic Frost, all that good stuff.
    grim_necro_kvlt
    The riffs were the worst part, it sounds like no thought was put into them at all. And why is Hellhammer playing with these idiots?, he can so much better.
    mr_ooda
    a band becoming big does not equal sellout. it means fan base. people should be thankful their favourite bands are getting recognised. as for metal running dry, i think it is more that too many bands copy new styles that are well recieved by fans then run it into the ground in an attempt to be noticed.