In Sorte Diaboli review by Dimmu Borgir

• Released: Apr 24, 2007
Dimmu Borgir: In Sorte Diaboli

My impression of this album is awesome, but it seems like many other people are upset with this new CD but why Concept albums are not new in black metal it's fairly common and Dimmu's version is well done. The sound of the album is powerful and invoking, it's definitely a live based CD though. The story of the album is about a monk from medieval era realizing that Christianity is a lie and becoming Satanic; or at least that's what I have collected from the lyrics. The drumming on this album is new standard as far as I am concerned, Hellhammer really out did himself. The guitars are fast and melodic.

Lyrics are great as anything else I have heard in Black Metal. Vortex gives great soaring Vocals, and Shagrath sounds good (even though many feel that his voice is silly sounding). Like I said before the lyrics and music are greatly based for a live audience, so it's seems a little open on the CD but I assure you that the live show really gives a great impression. Best lyrics of the CD are on The Fundamental Alienation and The Foreshadowing Furnace in my opinion.

Even though lot's of people say that is was not the stand out best Extreme metal Album in 2007 being overshadowed by Machine head, and few others I think this CD is still worth a buy. As far as the masses go who say that they are too commercial and processed and that Concept CD's are stupid just ignore them and listen to it for yourself cause after all, you are the finale word. Best thing about it is the powerful lyrics and strong riffs.

HereticHammer01
    Thought generally the reviews were alright: its a good album but i could see why some people think its lacking something. Personally its a 8 or 9/10. Hellhammer is still ****ing amazing!
    BlackSymphony6
    madeovblasphemy wrote: 10/10 for ****ing sure. This is very passionate metal, and if those ****ing rap-listeners want to make fun of us metalfans for listening to it, screw 'em. Nail their hands, feet, face to the cross and burn them and leave them there to rot alone .
    its idiots like you that give fans of proper metal a bad name. Your poseur kvltness is laughable. This is a reasonable album, its got a few really good songs, but its nothing on DCA or PEM in my opinion. All you slobbering wannabe satanists need to get a grip and some perspective. The lyrics of this album are nothing more that your generic BM blasphemy ... if you want some truly well thought out and writen lyrics i would recommend you listen to some Deathspell Omega.
    Dimebagjeff
    UncleCthulhu wrote: People who think metal is running dry should turn off MTV.
    +11111
    h3llh4mm3r
    -blaze- wrote: lol. naw,i disagree on metal running dry.. there are many bands out there.. dimmu borgir making metal mainstream? hmmm.. lol
    I think what the reviewer meant was exactly this: there are TOO many metal bands out there, so it has become extremely difficult for them to be orininal. For example, back in the 80s, if you wanted black metal, your only choices were mainly Celtic Frost or Bathory.
    SatanPriest
    Review by wintee_madness: "In Sorte Diaboli is the first Dimmu release that features the clean vocal work of bassist I.C.S Vortex" Seriously dude? Do your homework man.
    RMM82
    Not the best Dimmu album, but still solid. I wish they would get back to their "Enthrone Darkness Triumphant" and "Spiritual Black Dimensions" sound, those two are my favorite. Those that think bands like Dimmu are going mainstream, what the f**k are you smoking? This stuff will NEVER be mainstream because it's too evil and brutal. I don't care about what "purists" or "elitists" say, they're all a bunch of geeks who do nothing but talk s**t on message boards all day.