Spiritual Black Dimensions review by Dimmu Borgir

• Released: Mar 2, 1999
Dimmu Borgir: Spiritual Black Dimensions

I am Surprised that this CD hasn't been reviewed but by one other person. This album is often viewed as one of the lesser Dimmu albums because of the guitarist. Also the music is a lot faster and is not quite in like symphonic black metal that's imbibed in the other albums. Having said that; the album stands on it own right, the music is fast and powerful and that's all one can really ask out of a Black Metal album. I think of it more as a black thrash than symphonic black metal. Even though it doesn't stack up to Enthrone Darkness or Stormblast it's still a good album.

My impression on the lyrics is how I feel about Shagrath's and Silenoz every time. I think that they are very good at writing and I always like the vocabulary that's used, as a writer myself I find it hard to use more complex grammar in a song. I always like the lyrics from the primal scream of infesting the dead in herds in Reptile to the menacing evil that Masses For The New Messiah can create. Plus Shagrath's has one of the most powerful voices I have found in Black metal both on the album and live along with the first showings of Vortex in the band especially on Insight and Catharsis which both sing together live.

Like I said before it doesn't stack up to the other albums by them if one listened to this before the other CD's than I think it would still make a good impression; on the other hand I don't like it as much as the other CD's because the guitarist I think throws off the sound. Galder the guitarist now vibes really well when writing the music and orchestral sections that this guitarist couldn't create. My favorite songs are Reptile, Dreamside Dominions, Insight & Catharsis, Masses For The New Messiah. I love the different style the CD has but I hate that the Guitarist changed their sound so much. I would buy it again if I had the chance.

HereticHammer01
    This albums normally really ****ing underrated, which is annoying. However those reviews are good ones it is a real good album.
    Jøhnny
    This album is Dimmu's forgotten classic! Their last good album (in fact it's excellent) but it's so unknown