Stormblast review by Dimmu Borgir

• Released: Nov 9, 2005
Dimmu Borgir: Stormblast

Fantastic. My interest in Dimmu Borgir started when I heard the song 'The Serpentine Offering' on the radio at around 1AM when coming home from work. I was so interested that it prompted me to go out and buy the album the next day, and I wasn't dissapointed. Since then, my interest in this Norwegian black metal band has grown to the point that I'm beginning to collect all of their albums. Now because this album is in Norwegian, the lyrics are something I have to look up and translate myself. I'm a native English speaker so it's a little bit of extra work, but the complexity of the music and the nuances of the vocals more than makes up for it. Dimmu Borgir and most bands in the black metal genre really are the modern opera composers of the 21st century.

If you are purplexed by the statement I made above, let me explain a little bit. Dimmu Borgir is a band that goes beyond simple song structure with a set meaning to a song. A lot of bands make an album with several mixed messages, basically twelve tracks that have nothing to do with each other on one CD. Dimmu actually composes an album that tells a story in which all the tracks are related. A fable can be told in several different ways, the most recognizeable methods however; are through words, pictures and music. An opera is a story told by music and lyrics. And while the genre 'Opera' may not be the first word that comes to mind, if you really think about it; bands like this truly compose a modern form of opera music. And it's breathtaking. The only drawback with the lyrics on this album is that they're not in English so they're hard for the folks in the US to understand. A lot of music lovers care more about the compositions rather than the lyrics, and that's true for me too. However, I like to know exactly what the real meaning of the song is, so I put forth effort to look up the translations for the lyrics too. Obviously, I won't be taking a point off of my score just because the lyrics aren't in English. That wouldn't be fair. Looking at the translations (which I realize probably aren't perfectly accurate since the members of Dimmu Borgir didn't actually explain them to me), the lyrics aren't quite as sharp as those on 'In Sorte Diaboli', but they're very deep and moving. The two albums I own haven't let me down so far, and as I collect more, I don't expect the others to either.

It's a great album for nearly anyone with tastes in the metal genre. I think people who can really enjoy a well composed piece with deep lyrics (reguardless of religious alignment or aggressiveness of the instruments) will appreciate this album. Dimmu Borgir is a great band, and despite the fact that the band itself is 15 years old, they aren't showing any signs of slowing down. I can only hope I'm right. Supposedly a new album will be appearing in a few months, and I'm patiently waiting to buy it as soon as it's released.

2Old2Cold
    Silenoz did most of the vocals on For All Tid, their first album. Shagrath did them on here. You can quite easily tell because he has that Abbath-like voice.
    Raven_Flight
    yeah man shagrath sang everything, If I'am right, silenoz sings like vortex ( not as good, i mean the style) in songs like that dommedag i don't know what else That opera comparation has sense!
    Metal_deth_90
    hell yeah that album rocks.....i was waiting out side my store when it came out.....3 hours before the doors opened.....i wanted that cd that bad
    Fi-Fi
    this and for al tid are landmarks in NOMB not matter how fake people state they are. Sorgens kammer is my favourate but i still don't know what dimmu tried to prove when writing sorgens kammer del II. Also Alt lys er svunnet hen. awesome song. better than other dimmu albums but it catches another mood though, i for one fall comfortly a sleep to their first 2 albums
    Fi-Fi
    and for the weird mixup in vocals, the stormblast album was sung by silenoz. the Stormblast you all talk about is a remaster and rewritten album. The original Stormblast was their 2nd album.
    DEATHbyBLOOD
    xCoilx
    DEATHbyBLOOD wrote: arguing about some really ridiculous stuff, guys. either way, this album kicks ass, both versions. i love how they change so much with each release.
    Your41Plague12
    I agree the argument is stupid, but just to clear it up, Silenoz did the vocals on the first two albums. This is by far my favorite Dimmu album, with For All Tid coming in second. Old Dimmu can't be beat, the atmosphere is pure magic.
    Your41Plague12
    Sorry for the double (and now triple) post, my computer was being very slow and I clicked 'Post' more than once. Mods, feel free to delete this post and one of the other ones.
    RAH7747
    I'm kinda in a fix as to which is better - Stormblast or Stormblast MMV.. I do like the keyboards in the original one but at times I feel that it's overdone.. And also the MMV feels as if it lacks the orchestral touch to it.. Anyway, why hasn't someone mentioned "Broderskapets Ring" yet? I feel that's one of the best songs on both albums.. of course the others mentioned are brilliant too..
    Jøhnny
    It's Stormblst, not Stormblast... If you're going to make a good review you should at least get the album's name right. If you don't have in your keyboard, you can always copypaste the name, it doesn't require much energy. Also, Stormblst and Stormlst MMV are different things. In this page, the reviews of both albums are mixed. Although the songs are mostly same, the sound and instrumentation and everything is so different that it's hard to believe they were made by the same band.