Farm review by Dinosaur Jr.

• Released: Jun 23, 2009
Dinosaur Jr.: Farm

This is Dinosaur Jr at its best the original three back for second run since 1988, somehow Mascis' vocals havent changed one iota since the 80's yet sound fresher than any other album. The guitar is so good its untrue, soaring solo's such as the 4-Minute-Plus solo in "I Don't Wanna Go There", chunky yet melodic riffs in the fuzz style that put Dinosaur Jr apart from the hardcore music of the 80's and kicked off grunge. The bass is just right under the guitar and the drums have an energy you wouldnt expect of a band in their 40's.

The lyrics are well-penned with a hint of sarcasm and depression, as well as some feeling of conciliation between Mascis and Barlow. All in all, there is no way of denying that the lyrics and the singing matches every song perfectly. The singing is in fact, terrible musically, its moaning and wailing and more moaning with an aching voice, but it works perfectly with the music just as it always has.

The Farm album can't really be compared to other artists due to Dinosaur Jr's distinctive sound, fuzzy grunge guitar and understated wailing lyrics. For the most impressive songs I would listen to "Pieces", "I Don't Wanna Go There" and "Plans". There is nothing to hate about this album its awkward but works in a way that will keep you listening and reaching for the nearest guitar/drum set/broomstick for a jam. Without a doubt, the best Dinosaur Jr album to date, and I have all of them. If someone stole this I think I would be glad, because its another person whose eyes might be opened to Dinosaur Jr. its criminal that so many people will walk past this without knowing how good it is and saying "oh look its that band that did that 'Feel The Pain' song on Rock Band" before walking on and picking up some modern trash thats all production and no talent. These guys are real music. Grow your hair, put it on in your car at maximum volume and drive around until your ears bleed.. the deafness will be worth it.

Turkeyburger
    slimp wrote: this album really surprised me. After all these years I didn't expect them to strike gold once again, but they did it. Best rock album of 2009? Quite possible. I don't get the negative guitar solo comment, his solos on this album are better than they have ever been.
    I don't know, the solos on Hand It Over are prety phenomenal.
    slimp
    kaptink
    Got tickets to see them in august but havent picked it up yet, my definite next purchase
    Bolteh
    I'm generally skeptical about reviews that give full blown 10s, but I have to agree on this one. Dinosaur Jr is probably the most underrated band known to mankind. I generally try to get people to sit down with a beer while listening to any of the albums of these guys, and I have yet to find a person that doesn't like it. God, even my mum wouldn't mind listening to it.
    Turkeyburger
    This is an amazing album. Downloaded it on the 6th, bought it on the release date. I think giving it a 10 is an understatement.
    LordBaxtus
    I never thought Dinosaur Jr. would make an album that would be on the level of Bug and You're Living all Over Me. This album might be past that level.
    TromboneThunder
    It's crazy how they can use all that fuzz, which is usually the trademark of more experimental drone and shoegaze and stuff, and still appeal to about anyone who likes good music. SO GOOD. Best use of straight 10s I have yet seen.
    LZeppelin_freak
    i agree. amazing band, and j mascis kicks ass on both lead vox and guitar.... AT THE SAME TIME!!! the album was great, and the rest of the band was really solid too. its a shame theres only 7 other comments on this review
    Milo Corp
    This is is a solid effort in the face of the reunion possibly getting stale. Yet this is the best thing they all could have done. Barlow's contribution to this album elevates what would be a "6" rating to an "8"....maybe "9". I also agree with some of the comments regarding "..someone should put a leash on J's solo's". But this is "D" Jr., I'm willing to live with it.