Growing Pains Review

Dinosaur Pile-Up: Growing Pains
Released: Oct 4, 2010
Genre: Alternative Rock, Post-Grunge, Neo-Grunge
Label: Friends Vs. Records
You can hear the influence from bands like Foo Fighters and Nirvana here. The heavy guitar work along with some grungy tones. Matt Bigland recorded this whole album himself which makes it ever so amazing!
 8.6
 9.3
 7.9
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Growing Pains Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 09, 2011

Sound: When my friend told me he was going to see a band called Dinosaur Pile-Up live, I sort of laughed, but when I listened to a few of their songs, I wished I was going to see them too! Most songs on this album are rocky and thrashy and make you wanna jump up and down when listening to them. Distortion on the guitars and bass drive the thrashing riffs along with the crash cymbals and smashing drums. Most of the songs on guitar are drop D power chords which although are mostly simply, create massive impact along with Matt's singing in the songs. // 10

Lyrics: In some cases, Matt Bigland seems to have the same idea of lyrics as Kurt Cobain did, Music first, lyrics second. Lyrics in a few of the songs like "Birds And Planes" and "Mona Lisa" are random and don't necessarily make sense, however, with songs like "Barce-Loner", "Never That Together", "My Rock N Roll" and others, the lyrics come across well and fit in along with the songs theme/subject and pounding tune. One of the key things to Dinosaur Pile-Up's music is the immense harmonies that appear in almost every song! Even in the grungy "My Rock N Roll" Matt still gets harmonies in there. These harmonies are almost up there with the ones that appear on the song "Scar Tissue" by Red Hot Chili Peppers. Matt is a very talented singer-guitarist without the screaming. // 8

Overall Impression: You can hear the influence from bands like Foo Fighters and Nirvana here. The heavy guitar work along with some grungy tones. Some of the most impressive songs are definetly "My Rock N Roll", which is probably the highlight of the album as it combines the grunge-inspired tones with some of the best riffs in rock, and "Love To Hate Me" as its massive riffs in the verse and chorus create an amazing thrash rock song. Dinosaur Pile-Up are described as indie-pop sometimes which doesnt't make sense as this is solid rock! The only thing that brings this album down is the last song "All Around The World" which is dreary and lacks originality, it also has an unecessary 1 1/2 minute repetitive bridge, they shouldve added a song like "opposites attract" or just finished with "Hey You". That is the only flaw about this album. If this album got lost, I would definetly buy it again, it is amazing (despite the last song) and the tunes are unbelievable! Also, Matt Bigland recorded this whole album himself which makes it ever so amazing! Can't wait for a whole band effort in a second album! // 10

Comments