Dream Evil review by Dio

• Released: Jan 1, 1987
Dio: Dream Evil

Dio has always sounded itself; melodic heavy metal, nice riffs, hair metal, impressive singing voice. This album doesn't do difference. This album is mostly melodic metal. There are great songs like opening track "Night People", title track "Dream Evil" and epic "All The Fools Sailed Away".

The lyrics are original Dio-lyrics, mostly stories with the deeper meaning. For example song "Overlove" tells about young teenager girl, who don't listen her moms warnings (like most teenagers). Then mom dies and girl is now alone without anykind of shelter and she must face the evil world she is living. This song is kind of straight worded, but in some songs listener must use his/hers brains to understand the meaning of the song. Ronnie James Dio has always been great and unique singing voice and style and no-one cannot copy that style without sounding ridicilous.

This album is basic '80s Dio. Most impressive songs from this album are "Night People", "Dream Evil", "All the Fools Sailed Away", "Overlove", "I Could Have Been a Dreamer" and "Faces in the Window". On this album Dio sounds best I know before changing his style bit darker on '90s. The album doesn't have anykind of things I hate. If the album were stolen/lost, I would buy new as soon as I can.

Iron Horse
    I think this is a good solid DIO album, but HD, SUaS, and Killing The Dragon are all better than this. Oh, and I Could Have Been a Dreamer ain't really so good a song.