Technicolor review by Dioramic

• Released: Jan 25, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 4.3 Poor
Dioramic: Technicolor

They say variety is the spice of life, and many folk from UG's neck of the woods would strongly agree, promoting rulebook-burnings and more clean interludes than a struggling alcoholic. Music has always needed to evolve but you can't travel effectively if you're too excited to remember where you're going, but that's Dioramic in a nutshell not that they'd like being put in such a confined space. At the heart of it all they're a metalcore band, with a good command over their instruments and the genre's various riff disciplines rather than sticking to their guns, however, the three-piece have dipped their toes into a few too many pools, and not once taken the plunge. Technicolor's got a promising press release, some pretty fantastic artwork and even the first song-and-a-bit sounds decent, but soon enough you'll stop engaging with the chopping and changing moods - eventually you'll stop registering that anything's happening at all. The band's full of good ideas, there's no doubting that, but it truly takes a reviewer's kind of attention span to try and figure out how they're all meant to fit together. A good riff here, a good lead there amounts to little when they can only be taken as musical vignettes, rather than entire songs. The exception to this is Arms Of Poseidon', which should probably be used as a future reference point by the band; different? Check. Original? Check. Coherent!? Check. Anyway, there aren't enough figures of speech in the world to sum this one up.

A lot of this album's scrambled nature is down to vocals; The Antagonist' wings its way through four vocal styles in its first 30 seconds, and most other tracks suffer from this same multiple personality disorder. The growls and screams are competent (at times enjoyable) but the clean vocals simply don't cut it and don't get the clearly desired soaring' effect 99% of the time. Contemplating the horrendously ironic Eluding Focus', and its equally amusing opening line (Complexity is not dead) is about as close as you'll get to zoning in on the lyrics as well, cause they flit about as freely as the instruments that accompany them.

Dioramic's biography is one of a band excited to be making an album, and this album does indeed channel that giddiness I'm happy that they've hit that milestone, as we all should be, but we'll have to hope that when the novelty wears off, the lofty ambition will go too. A grounded, focused and well-prepared album from these guys could be deadly, but I suppose we'll have to wait for another release to see whether it's feasible to expect such a thing. Until then, only the extremely curious should seek out Technicolor'.

EpiExplorer
    These guys? The new SikTh. Maybe not as fast, or insane.. but they hae the same sort of template: Technical, pretty wierd, time signiture changes, wierd mix of melodies, growls (death metal growls). But the only problem is that its really slow.. Nice review though. Should really be called Mathcore. Fits the term more.
    Ibanezrocker800
    Twitchy52
    Ibanezrocker800 wrote: This is going to be one of my favorite albums of the year, I think the reviewer just doesn't have a head on his shoulders for this type of music. Good review, but i just disagree.
    I agree. They aren't as good as Between the Buried and Me, but they have the same mathcore influence. And if you look at the reviews for BtBaM they don't have a single album below a rating of 9. So it is possible that it is the reviewer, not the band. But I will agree with the reviewer. The clean vocals kinda suck. He just doesn't have it in him to do clean.
    SchecterC-1+Man
    SchecterC-1+Man
    Well, genre splicing isn't really the right term. If they could lead into the clean sections better, it'd be cool. I guess is what I'm trying to say in that respect. Sorry for teh double post..
    EpiExplorer
    SchecterC-1+Man wrote: I would NOT go as far as to say they're the new SikTh, at all, in any way. But, while I do believe this album should've gotten something higher than a 4.3 , they still have a little ways to go before I'd give them a 7 or an 8. Kinda sub-par song structures, clean vocals. Personally I don't like the high growls (metalcore screams, I guess) either. But they do have potential, and if they can kinda refine their sound, or at least genre splice in a tasteful way, they'll be just fine. P.S. I suck at voicing opinions, so this is not EXACTLY how I feel about them, but as close as I can get...lol
    Well, ya know, its just what it sounds like. I mean as in, template wise, like Dark Tranquility has the same basis as Eluvetie, but they're pretty different.
    Gradyogle
    I've listened to this album 3 times. And it got worse every time. Seriously, don't watse your time on this, unless you have horrible taste in music. The reviewer must actually know a thing or two.
    Pretty_Much
    This album is frickin' awesome, who ever reviewed this really does not pay attention. The vocals can get a little annoying at times, but it's a great experimental/ progressive album.
    Amuro Jay
    Duncan has valid points which are understandable, but I'll have to hear this record myself before I make my own conclusions. Seems interesting.
    Stingmaskii
    The clean vocals remind me a bit of the band Portal, a short-lived Cynic side-project. I think I actually prefer his singing to his growling, as it's a little too screamo for my tastes.
    Stingmaskii
    EDIT: After listening to other songs, I realized the Portal-esque vocals seem to be unique to "Arms of Poseidon". "Lukewarm Remains" is pretty cool.
    bamslis
    They sure are a serious case of add , but the album has some seriously cool riffs though. Fans of modern prog/experimental metal should guve this a hear.
    tazmanz
    This album is definitely a standout. I like it more every time I spin it. They do have a ways to go (from a focus perspective at least) before I'll be comparing them to Believer, Extol, The End, or Mnemic. From my perspective, Believer (leave the lyrical themes aside) still rules this genre.