The Marrow Of A Bone review by Dir en grey

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Feb 20, 2007
  • Sound: 7
  • Lyrics: 5
  • Overall Impression: 6
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
  • Users' score: 8.6 (121 votes)
Dir en grey: The Marrow Of A Bone
0

Sound — 7
I was pleasantly surprised by the first song, "Concieved Sorrow". The piano line was kinda Linkin Park-ish, and the song had a much more melodic vibe than anything else on the album. A dark song, maybe not quite in the same vein as anything on their older albums, but I liked it. The second song, "Lie Buried With A Vengeance", brought about the first bit of "hardcore screaming" on the album, and I can't say that that aspect of the song impressed me much, but the guitars were deliciously thrashy. Too bad that couldn't really save the song. "The Fatal Believer" had a few promising moments, but overall, fell short. Everyone knows "Agitated Screams Of Maggots". Unfortunately, a lot of the songs on the album are too close to that one. "Grief" just kinda bored me with the whole screaming/heavy guitar thing. Someone forgot to remind them that they're not System Of A Down or Korn. "Ryojoku No Ame" was another song I liked, but of course, everyone knows that. This is a re-recording, so some things sound slightly different. Fortunately, they kept that guitar solo (pretty much the only one on the album). "Disabled Complexes" was different. Started off with that quiet funk thing, then got all heavy on me. Kyo's higher vocals almost sounded ok for a change. Then he started the growling thing again. Only it kinda sounded more like someone whining. Oh, this song features a one-note guitar solo. WOW. At least the bridge kinda didn't suck. The repetition of what sounded like "Psycho Killer" at the end was ok. "Rotting Root" starts off with the best guitar riff on the album, in my opinion. Hell, it's my favourite post-Six Ugly guitar riff so far. But otherwise, the song is kinda meh. I mean, it's one of the better songs on the album, but it kinda drags on, and Kyo knows how to ruin a song pretty easily lately. If he'd just do the growling thing less often, it'd be better. I did like the harmony vocal sections, and the odd meters. Saved the song from being totally boring. The next song, "Namamekashiki Ansoku, Tamerai ni Hohoemi", is a mostly-acoustic offering. This song is already pretty much my favourite post-Six Ugly song. Starts off with a nice harmony guitar lead, and some nice bass lines, and the verses are in 5/8 time. Not too shabby. I'm glad that they were finally able to put out a lighter song that lives up to their older ballads like "Zakuro" and "Hotarubi". If I had to rate the songs like in most reviews, this would be the only one to get 10/10. But of course, not everyone likes their lighter songs, so they may not like it as much as I did. But at least this song proved Kyo can still sing. The ending of the song kinda caught me off-guard though. When "The Pledge" started, all I could think of was Pain Of Salvation's "America" if it were played by Linkin Park. It's gotten quite obvious at this point that the nu-metal influence is ingrained in their music. I like the vocal melody of this song. This song is kinda like Marrow's "The Final", but a little better. It's one of the only rockers on the album that completely lacks Kyo's growling, which is a nice change of pace. "Repetition of Hatred" got the "repetition" part right. It sounds so much like some of the other songs on the album. I'm frankly getting tired of Kyo's growling. This song is a little too Korn-ish for me. "The Deeper Vileness". Just no. I'm debating leaving this song off my iPod when I put this album on there (which I usually do with all the new albums I get). Why? I'm tired of hearing them try to be Slipknot or System Of A Down or Korn. I'm not saying this just to be some fanboy wanting to hear them play their "classic Visual Kei and put their makeup back on and dress like pretty ladies again", I'm saying this because Dir en grey totally lost that uniqueness to them that made them special, and became one of those copycat bands. And my biggest fears have come to life. The re-recording of "Clever Sleazoid," the gold that the original version had was just totally lost in this version. The vocals just sound, horrid. Even by Kyo's standards. Even by his LOWEST standards. I could have spurted gibberish into a mic and made more sense, and possibly show more cadence and dynamics than Kyo.

Lyrics — 5
Some of the lyrics are in Japanese, some of them are supposedly in English, but they all sound like some language Kyo made up himself. The vocal delivery is mostly shouted, usually pretty badly. It's the vocals that really ruin this album for me. The instrumental parts are actually not bad, but Kyo's growl is kinda off-putting.

Overall Impression — 6
So, does this album match up to their best? Not by a long shot. Is it total crap? No, there are some good moments on the album, and one of my favourite DeG songs recorded since Six Ugly. Is it better than "Withering to death"? Maybe. I haven't given this album the time to digest that I have with "Withering". Is it the band's worst album? It's one of them, for sure. Is it a good album overall, ignoring the fact that it's a Dir en grey album? It does have some good moments. This album could have been much better than it is. The band hardly even needs to change much but the vocals, and maybe fill in some of those "breakdowns" with solos or something. The songs have a tendency to drag on longer than they are (and this is a short set, as none of the songs exceed 5 minutes in length). The vocals are what ruin this album. If it were stolen, I'd have to track down my iPod or computer. I don't think I'll be legally buying this one.

92 comments sorted by best / new / date

    travislausch
    DEG fanboys and fangirls ruin the band for people who actually appreciate them for their MUSIC.
    DownbëloW
    VKguitarXX wrote: to all those people who read my previous posta ll i have to say is all the people out their are enstated to theri own opinon, i'm just giving mine Their a breath of fresh air to this repetive bullshit we as americans call music. between the emo scene with bands like panic at teh disco(horrible) amber pacific(horrible) and cute is what we aim for who i am not ever sure are capable of playing their instruments past power chordes and the metal scene with bands like the hauneted and other such piss ass bands I mean i love metal bands like Killswitch engage, lamb of god, and other bad ass bands of such make me cream my jeans. (lamb of god next week) wooooh *cough* back to the subject alot of people judge dir en grey because tyhey can't speak english I was talking to a kid today i was like dir en greys awesome He was were they from i was like japan he was do they speak english i was like know he was like so they suck i was likee that doesn't make sense. That is an example of utter ignorance and utter stupidity. When all these kids stop picking up a razorblade and start picking up an instrument now a days. I'm gonna stick with my Jrock X JAPAN REUNION WOOOOOH
    I like you. but anyways, this is a shock metal band. Nothing on guitar is really that difficult (despite what some of you say) remember, the studio takes care of their technical problems. Dir en Grey is getting popular because of all the freak-ass sh!t they do (i dont like it, i like bands for the music.) but the singer is really good.
    akong.supern00b
    oh, also, i bet my life savings that if zakk wylde or angus young said that they liked dir en grey, you haters would love dir en grey.
    akong.supern00b
    i personally think this album is eh. but i definitely feel that many of the people who commented against the band are ignorant of the whole japanese scene. i would even go as far as saying that some of them are xenophobic. i have friends who are like that as well. i'd hate to sound like a self-righteous hippie, but music is a universal language that goes beyond english or japanese. and reading your posts, i think that you listen to the music while telling yourself that you dont like it, so that you end up not liking it. i would go so far as to say that some of you haters haven't even listened to the music, but just looked at their image to base your opinions. the fact of the matter is this. there's a reason they got on the family values tour. there's also a reason why they continue to get invited on american tours. and the reason sure as hell isn't bribery.
    HellrzngPinhead
    Dir en Grey is just a Deadsy knockoff, who in turn is an Orgy knockoff, who in turn are knockoffs of every new wave band ever.
    Draken
    My brother is into these guys in a big way and i must admit i've heard some of thier stuff and it is pretty cool.
    Jrockerdie
    Actually, Dir en grey is an overall great band. You can't go on a bad preformance, cause Korn sucks live and yet ppl still like their music. I've seen them live numerous times and must say they get better and better with each show. Another thing. Whoever said Diru is Visual Kei..Is an absolute ****ing MORON. They dropped Vk years ago and if you didn't know VK is a fashion not a type of music. Jesus. I love the band. Hate the fanbase. If you saw Diru and didn't like them at first give them a second chance, there music is really fantastic. I suggest the new cd as well as Vulgar, Kisou, and Gauze.
    VKguitarXX
    to all those people who read my previous posta ll i have to say is all the people out their are enstated to theri own opinon, i'm just giving mine Their a breath of fresh air to this repetive bullshit we as americans call music. between the emo scene with bands like panic at teh disco(horrible) amber pacific(horrible) and cute is what we aim for who i am not ever sure are capable of playing their instruments past power chordes and the metal scene with bands like the hauneted and other such piss ass bands I mean i love metal bands like Killswitch engage, lamb of god, and other bad ass bands of such make me cream my jeans. (lamb of god next week) wooooh *cough* back to the subject alot of people judge dir en grey because tyhey can't speak english I was talking to a kid today i was like dir en greys awesome He was were they from i was like japan he was do they speak english i was like know he was like so they suck i was likee that doesn't make sense. That is an example of utter ignorance and utter stupidity. When all these kids stop picking up a razorblade and start picking up an instrument now a days. I'm gonna stick with my Jrock X JAPAN REUNION WOOOOOH
    Jrockerdie
    Here's My question. if you don't like Diru whats the point in BITCHING about not liking them? It's seems to be Ignorant and pointless. Obviously what you say isn't gonna change the fact Diru is famous in Europe, Asia, and Getting wider known in America. I really don't think anyone gets Dir en grey at all. it isn't about the language its in. It's about the Music and Some of us Enjoy that music..I'm sure you all enjoy something I don't like but I'm not sitting here bashing it. It's ignorant. Move on and grow up.
    sassamafras
    my friend is crazy about them, i dont particularily like them, and they're downright creepy/femenin looking.
    samuraichaser
    POWERMETAL! wrote: they should probally end their lives.. or at least their music career.
    Nooooo~~~~~ They can't die!! I would cry...and so would a bunch of other people. T_T
    samuraichaser
    Dir en grey is one of the bests bands I have heard as of late. After awhile, all the American music started to sound the same, but when I heard Dir en grey, the fresh unique sound of it I found really neat to listen to. Plus, Toshiya's bass and Shinya's drumming could possibly one day blow the speakers out in my car, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Just because they speak in Japanese shouldn't make that much of a difference. Music is Music. There are other ways to communicate with fans...said so by Kyo-sama himself. As for their concerts, I went to one of their concerts here during their Inward Scream tour, and I think that has been THE best concert I have ever been to. The music was awesome, their performance was beyond words, and just the whole deal...was a complete expirence beyond words.
    POWERMETAL!
    whatever it is its not metal. thats for shure. i don't like it. not one bit. ...talentless ass clowns.
    ZepDeadSabbath
    Dir e Grey kick ****in ass and although I doubt that they will ever acheive mainstream sucess in the U.S. it is good to see that they are gaining a larger fanbase. As far as whether or not they are metal, they play fast heavy music with great melodies and a dark undertone, that is metal in my opinion. If you think they are mtal or not, it is not about labels, it is about he music! Most of you retards are just talking out of your ass and have never even taken the time to listen to a band that you don't consider to be inside the genre of "metal". Anyone who places ANY importance on genres is retarded and knows nothing about music.
    Night_Lights
    ^thats because they have studios to work their tone, fool! dir en grey is a good band.
    limpdogskip
    hey hey hey wtf is your problem? youre ****in contradicting your self numb nuts, Deftones kick ass, Norma Jean Kicks ass, job for a cowboy does suck though but hey dont hate mother ****er, seriously people have different playing styles, and some people dont like some styles thats just how it is. well ive never listened to dir en grey or w/e but they look funny as hell
    norma jean doesn't know how to do anything but down-tune, beat their open strings and play tritones and minor 2nds; it's quite redundant and lacks musical taste. Where did he contradict himself?
    whoa whoa, hey hey! Brutal, and technical? Thats funny. I love Dir En Gray, but brutal and technical? not even close.
    i think by brutal he means passionate. technical means more than just fast; try playign a dir en grey song 100% perfectly and achieve the same tones they get out of their instruments; it's not easy.
    Mdragoon
    Enough with saying who sucks and who doesn't. Unless you're creating music and are in the same position, then you can't talk shit. Dir en Grey has made a vast transformation over the years. If you don't know who X Japan is, then you have no right at all to comment on this band. Likewise, if you have no idea what Visual Kei is, then you should just shut the **** up about dir en grey. Their early stuff is very melodic and goth influenced, but the last three albums, Vulgar, Withering to Death, and The Marrow of a Bone are very much darker, heavier, and less melodic then albums like Gauze and Kisou. The hard rock and metal scene in Japan has vastly different influences then here in the States and in Europe. Dir en Grey cannot be considered within the metalcore genre, and to put them there is just ****ing insane. You're basically saying that Dir en Grey, a band with a long and diverse catalog, is the same as As I Lay Dying and Shadows Fall. I like those two bands too, but they are not even on the same side of the Earth, let alone in the same musical category. So here's the point, Dir en Grey is Dir en Grey, take it or leave, but don't spew shit out of your mouth about a band and foreign music genre that you know anything about just because you downloaded their latest cd without prior knowledge about who they are. Other than that, have a very metal day, hehe!
    Jrockerdie
    HellrzngPinhead wrote: Dir en Grey is just a Deadsy knockoff, who in turn is an Orgy knockoff, who in turn are knockoffs of every new wave band ever.
    Expect Diru has been around Since 1997..>Dumbass XDDD
    hug a llama
    i personally think theyre an okay band if you dont like em listen to hydra its pretty nice
    metalxsymphony
    VKguitarXX wrote: for all those faggots who say dior en grey sucks. They have been 10 years. people are so blind to tha bands previous stuff. they have been here forever they earned theyre keep in japan. to all those guys who listens to bands like job for a cowboy and norma jean. who obviously have no talent. TAleast dir en grey knows how to play their instruments. Listen to the technicality. they actually play things besides brutal riffs 24 7 listen to their early songs like cage and yokan. Ad if you ever read their crap kyo hates manson. They appose most of this goth crap. thats just their stage presence. they where just hurled into the american genre of goth rock. and thats ****en stupid. and they have peple like. NOw go listen to your crap ass deftones cds you punk bitches.
    whoa whoa, hey hey! Brutal, and technical? Thats funny. I love Dir En Gray, but brutal and technical? not even close.
    trouble37
    I hate this band so much, i didn't even stay to watch them at family values for more then two songs they were just a horrid act. What made it worse was the awkwardness felt by me and my friends when all these wanna-be metal preteens were going crazier for them then they did with korn. There music just sounds like a mess.
    VKguitarXX
    DIIR EN GREY ROCKS SEEN THEM 3 TIMES WILL CONTINUE TO SEE THEM. the only time i was even kind of disspointed was when KYO had the flu and he was trying to still do the show which was a bad idea but i give kudose cuz that shit was still sweet. Kyo has alot of problems with him to Acoustic imbalance in his right ear and many times he has gotten ill on tour But i still love the band with all my heart I agree kisou and gauze where ****en amazing But i love the new stuff cuz this is stuff you can mosh to and headbang to and have a good time instead of doing that little japanese arm sway thing to everysong. Thats why i love this band none of their songs sound the same Dead tree(spectacular) The pledge(cream jeans) mercilees cult ( freakin head bang fest) jesus christ RnR(technicality to the max) I just love every thing about dir en grey Die(my hero, i have my hair like his as we speak Kaoru( a genius) Toshiya( a bass master) Shinya( words cannot describe) KYO(amazing vocally from screams to ballads) thats is all
    Ero-banana
    Adore DEG. Love the shit out of every aspect of the new album. Hate the majority of the ****tarded fanbase. Some of you honestly need to take a long walk off a short pier.
    Jrockerdie
    Omg no kidding XDDDDD. I do wish people would stop bashing them. Or I mean..atleaasy come up with a intellegent anwser as to why they are bad instead of racist comments or 'They ****ing suck..ass penis shit..****.' XDDDD Like even the long anwser up above is ingorant...because they put into play the factits a japanese band...so it's japanese OMFG AMERICAN BNDS GO TO JAPAN!! so they MUST comment on the fact they are white, right?
    sm3005
    Jrockerdie: Glad you understand. I didn't mean to come off as such a hater, I really don't think their new album is bad, just not their best. I do tend to hold their older stuff in very high regard though. I'll remain open when it comes to them because of the fact that they're ever-changing. If they stopped, now that's when the red flags would be raised. For a while I thought maybe they were stalling with Marrow, but sometimes all it takes is some reassurance from other fans I think after all these tours they just need a nice vacation.
    Jrockerdie
    They've gotten lots of shit and lost alot of fans over the years after changing from VK. Kyo doesn;t care that you don't like his music. If you don't like hteir music he said himself Don't see them live. Its not that hard XD
    Jrockerdie
    -huggles above person- I will say though. Dir en grey has been choosing their Singles a bit poorly. But If you've ever noticed... Dir en grey never does the same thing twice. They're always changing, evovling, and showing us something new and intersting. They don't do it for their fans though. That much I've figured out over the years. They do it for themselves.
    sm3005
    Jrockerdie: I wasn't referring to the 'heaviness' as a reason for it being inferior. If this is they direction they are wishing to pursue, I think they'll eventually do better. Also, I HAVE listened to the new cd many times. I thought over it for a long time before I decided to comment publically about this. I will agree that there are a few gems on here, but sadly the majority seems to be fillers by Dir en grey standards. If next we get an album of Clever Sleazoid remakes and The Deeper Vileness, count me out. Also, while they may not be making music purely to be popular, one must be blind to think that plays no part in their direction.
    Jrockerdie
    masterometal666- no Japaneese shit-"metal" band is going to be doing anything good anytime soon. ^ Learn to spell Japanese. Ignorant people shouldn't try big words
    masterometal666
    Jau_Peacecraft wrote: Lawlz, I second Ven: whtf _sam? Go ride a dick DX I will say I particularly like the part of the album when it sounds like Kyo is saying "AC/DC, **** you." Glad to see them being covered by UG; hopefully everyone won't let this album blind them to what Dir En Grey is really capable of. Anyone who hated this album should check out Withering to Death, much more superior songs, originality and overall sound. Remember kids, blind loyalty to a band doesn't make you a better fan, it makes you a dumbass. Always question the band's ability to put out good stuff, it's healthy for music in general to think and have a ****ing opinion, so for those who can't handle people ot liking this album, put your Huggies back on and get back in the crib, let the grown ups take care of everything.
    A-Fucking-men. I'm so tired of that shit. The supposedly "hardcore" fans are Fucking idiots. Every band has them. Metallica's h.c.'s won't admit that their beloved is dying off slowly and isn't coming back to life. Puddle of Mudd hc's refuse to wake up and realize that they had their fun and it's over. You see all of these idiots doing this Shit just because. It's like the band has become their identity. I swear, if my band ever gets fans like that... god. Seriously, if I really sucked, I would appreciate it for someone to tap me on the shoulder and deck me in the face, simply so hat I would be able to realize that I was done and going any further was going to kill the legacy (if you will). I've seen this kind of band before. They will be nowhere in the next couple of years if it plays out the way it should. Seriously, did it ever occur to them that maybe they should actually, oh I don't know, PICK A FUCKING GENRE?!?!?! ONLY CREATIVE BAND?!!! ARE YOU FUCKING NUTS????? Don't you tell ME that it dosn't take at least an ounce of creativity to write a song, whether it be some shit-ass 8-bar pop song or ****ing tool (some of the most well-thought out shit ever, not the best mind you, I'm not stupid, nor am I an expert on what is and isn't "the best", but you try jamming when it switches time signatures every measure and when you can, I might take you seriously.) THAT'S WHAT MUSIC IS!!! Expression of creativity. VKguitarXX has a point, but what REALLY defines ignorance is a statement like the one dead arising made, which I am appalled at and have been ranting about in the past paragraph or so. Do you realize that Dir En Grey is only around because SOMEONE ELSE noticed them, likely from ANOTHER band? Did it ever occur to some of you that there IS another band besides this piece of shit that calls it self music. And now, after complimenting you, VKguitarXX, something else has come to my attention that forces me to tear you right back down to dead arising's level. You say they are a breath of fresh air from these stagnant emo bands. (And that IS the word for them.) But the majority of the people that like this band also seem to be wearing the same emo too-tight jeans and black hair/makeup/everything else that you despise. In fact, the people that most would truly define as "metal" FUCKING HATE DIR EN GREY. This is Manson all over again. Manson sucks. The only thing he was even halfway good for was some of antichrist superstar. Mob scene was good. The rest sucked balls. But much like KISS and their live shows with the flames and everthing, he gets away with it because, "ooo watch me take a line as I massacre Anne Lennox's best song" WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS SHOCK METAL SHIT??? DID THEY ALL WAKE UP ONE MORNING AND DECIDE "I think I'll have a bowl of Fuck-Up-O's!" ??? DON"T tell me who to bash and who not to bash. I live to blow bands like this to pieces. And to akong.supern00b: That is bullshit. If either of them said that, then either of them would be recieving a very large and prominent thumb coupled with a very large and prominent middle finger. I don't care who they are. Love 'em both to death, but at that point, my respect for them would go down about 15 notches. Make that 20. Family Values should have showed that no Japaneese shit-"metal" band is going to be doing anything good anytime soon. BUT YOU FUCKING PEOPLE IGNORE THE FACT THAT IT WAS THE WORST PERFORMANCE ON THE BILL SINCE GOD KNOWS WHEN!!!!! If I were Korn, or whoever else started that tour, I would have been seriously pissed off with that band. End of story. They would have found a car bomb on their way out. They have not "earned their rightful place in the american metal scene." Most foreign countries look to us for the good metal because they can't seem to figure out how to do it without a synthesizer or a drum machine. And so we give them THIS??? Dir En Grey doesn't hold a candle to any of the metal bands out there. If you want real metal listen to some of the guys that started it all. Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, Death, and all of the guys that pioneered the Metal scene when it was something that MTV despised and that parents ran away from because they couldn't believe their ears when the "Trash" was roaring away at their old-time
    Jrockerdie
    Dir en grey isn't crating music for the benefit of "fitting" in if thats what you think you, my friend, are completely wrong. They are taking a direction they chose and if they were trying to fit in they'd sound like fall-out boy. If you've even lstened to the new cd it has its own sound and the bass-line is amazing. The cd is really up there with Kisou and Vulgar and on another note, They've been getting harder since Gauze. I don't understand how fans are like, 'OMFG OBSCURE' and somehow are against Disabled Complexes which is a Fantastically well written song.
    sm3005
    I think Dir en grey was much better before they started trying to get a bigger fanbase and more money. They had plenty of fans the way they were. They finally tour the rest of the world and we don't get to hear what they were truly good at. Marrow is their worst album by far, if you compare it to their previous works. IMO Gauze, Kisou, and Vulgar were the best musically, they knew exactly what they were doing. Now it seems they are just trying to fit in way too much. Hopefully they don't go downhill from here, I still have faith in them and I'd hate to seem them waste their talent for some Americans.
    Lumpelope
    Just because they were around longer don't mean shit, they could have been around for 50 years, but if you've been putting out shitty material for 50 years I think that shows ignorance rather than talent...what happened to real metal, not the goth/death/black metal crap...that crap isn't metal it is just useless...I think i would buy a rap album before a Dir En Gray or Job For A Cowboy album...they suck, period...they don't create good music period...what are you stuck in your ways to even admit when something sucks...
    Draken
    Damn it i didn't realise that so many people disliked them. They're a fantastic band i think their work sounds really great, not overly complex but not degregaded to the level of J-pop.
    VKguitarXX
    ALl i have to say to all you ignorant r tards constantly make japanese bashing comments. THEY could care less what you think. Theyre making money theyre getting known and theyre more famous than any of us may ever be. Music is Music no matter where from. Listen to some japanese bands like X JAPAN LOUDNESS SEX MACHINEGUNS those bands will ****ing blow your mind and they where out in the 70's so you can't say shit like dir en grey is to american sounding whos to say our metal bands aren't to japanese sounding. For all those Japanese bashing fags. I happen to be half japanese and i find it very disrespectful that you judge the band by the race and culture. You guys need to gorw up and to masterometal666 you must be the biggest poser ever. oddds are your still learning smoke on teh water on your guitar while you sit in your moms basement and think of ways to add sexual inuandos involving penis into your comments. I read a article that kaoru(guitarist) said we right what we feel and play what we feel No one ever said they where shock metal. You incopperated them into shock metal. You never heard from dir en grey mouth say were shock rock. They are just trying to get a wider fan base. The kids that wear all the shit are posers who probably run around screaming i'm so harcore. Dir en grey has earned their keep by my book. They seem to go the way they need and how they see fit. They could care less what pimple face prepubescants like metalmaster says.And quote him i guess i'm gonna have to tear you down a notch Dir en grey was out before emo. any band you like today dir en grey was probably out before them. their writing skill compliment each other perfectly. I mean theyre no stratovarius or galneryus when it comes to composition BUt they own ass with songs like the pledge and Ain't Afraid to die. So anyone else wanna raise an arguement adress it to me i'll be more than willing to come back against it.
    violex
    I believe Dir En Grey is an amazing band, they have gone so far, and have a VERY large fan base in America for a Japanese band, theyre creative and progressive. But I believe this album is trying way too hard to get American people to like it, its too American sounding, they should go back to the way they sounded on Withering to Death, because every track on that album was diverse, this album, not so much. Dir en Grey has to be one of the first Japanese bands to Lead a Headlining tour in America, so it doesnt really matter if you like them or not, the fact is people do. I think Dir en Grey should have kept doing what they were doing on Withering to Death and previous albums, because thats what originally got them their fan base, this is possibly my least favorite Dir En Grey album, and Withering to death being my first. Dont get me Wrong though, there are some good tracks on this album, just not the Majority of them.
    senorpepe
    VKguitarXX wrote: for all those faggots who say dior en grey sucks. They have been 10 years. people are so blind to tha bands previous stuff. they have been here forever they earned theyre keep in japan. to all those guys who listens to bands like job for a cowboy and norma jean. who obviously have no talent. TAleast dir en grey knows how to play their instruments. Listen to the technicality. they actually play things besides brutal riffs 24 7 listen to their early songs like cage and yokan. Ad if you ever read their crap kyo hates manson. They appose most of this goth crap. thats just their stage presence. they where just hurled into the american genre of goth rock. and thats ****en stupid. and they have peple like. NOw go listen to your crap ass deftones cds you punk bitches.
    hey hey hey wtf is your problem? youre ****in contradicting your self numb nuts, Deftones kick ass, Norma Jean Kicks ass, job for a cowboy does suck though but hey dont hate mother ****er, seriously people have different playing styles, and some people dont like some styles thats just how it is. well ive never listened to dir en grey or w/e but they look funny as hell
    dr.akai
    Kalas wrote: um Dir en Grey sucks i mean its nothing serious its just they are just another poser goth band who expect everyone to buy their albums just cause they act like metros and think they're goth
    this is just too funny XD I can't believe that someone wrote something like this because this shows that you people think that this band is 2 years old or something, DEG is reformated band ( La:Sadies ) from '97 theyr 10 years old as DEG ! They never were goth ! Visual Kei - yes , japanese and other countrys goths may listen to them but they're not posing as goth band ! Read "Cleaver Sleazoid" lyrics there is what Kyo thinks about people like you , too stupid to listen them as Dir en Grey and trying to put them on the same shelf with, I dont know, I'm not in goth music, bands.
    vulgarism
    Dir En Grey is a great band, but for me to blindly follow every album and say that it's great is wrong. This album has its moments, as I'm sure you all know, and then you have a regurgitations of other songs. It gets fairly repetitive, that's for sure. The one thing they did right with this album is the guitar riffs, but the screaming needs to be fixed a little. Really, I think withering to death is a better album, but his album is still fairly good.
    Cr3sc3nT
    Dir en grey is a great band, imho. But some may not like them. The end.
    Rosseta Stoned
    I actually like the songs Dozing Green and Kodou. I just happen to think that they sound a helluva lot better when their singer sings in a "clean" voice.