Uroboros review by Dir en grey

• Released: Nov 11, 2008
Dir en grey: Uroboros

After the, apparently, not so well recieved "Marrow Of A Bone" - their heaviest album to date - they have mixed their 2009 follow-up album abit, alot more experimental in most cases, which seems to have gone in their favour and have progressed their already staggaring music abilities to even further heights. Songs are a mixture of melodicand heavy, more of the latter. 01. "Sa Bir": opening track to this album, it comprises of instrumentals and Kyo grumbling and doing other weird things with his voice, with the rest of the song giving a very disturbing vibe to it; harrow guitar riffs. But overall not alot else to sa about it. 02. "Vinushka": This is a 9:37 epic, that is one massive build up. Quiet, in the background drum and bass, while the guitars fire out soft melodic riffs, it eventually comes up into a heavy chorus which sums up how alot of the heavy songs will sound. The best way to sum up the song is just, epic. The song is constantly moving and it's a joy to hear. 03. "Red Soil": My favourite track on this album for drums, they just blow my mind in the chorus. The song starts off with a great sounding bass riff, with high up chords on the guitar, the drums are phenomonal for off times and changes threw-out the song, so it's an easy win, while the bass takes a close second for complimenting the song so well with it's distorted tone. Chorus is a fast build up but drums gets more and more layered as the chorus progresses. Kyo's choice for vocals is screams and grunts threw-out. Great song overall. 04. "Doukoku To Sarinu": Another quite fast song, but Kyo's vocals are amazing on this song, ranging from bellowing screams to sickening highs. It has a hair raising bridge type bit, that just shows how amazing Kyo's voice really is. 05. "Toguro": Starts off with a brilliant guitar riff, then followed by Kyo's whispering voice. The guitars win the show in this song, I love the sound and rythum they let off. The chorus has a brilliant, dare I say it, radio friendly vibe to it, which will have you humming it hours after hearing it. Kyo's voice also goes for the highs in this song aswel, but he doesn't scream in this song, it's all singing, and shuts the bad-mouthers up. 06. "Glass Skin": A great slow song, that has an amazing ambience to it. The problem I have with this song is that Kyo is singing in English. When I bought this when it came out I was lucky enough to get the play.com version with the Japanese ver. On it, which is a million times better. I'm not knocking him trying to sing in a different tounge, quite the opposite, but I feel it makes the band sounud. Odd. So if I'm rating the song for it's native tounge it gets an easy 9. If it's the English ver. It's going to be an 8, because I'm just not digging it. Musically it's stunning though, not a bad word to say about it. 07. "Stuck Man": Jazzy sound bass riff, using his slap technique, which then leads to a kick a-s punch to the face for heaviness, which then goes back into the slapping and popping, and so on. Really catchy song. 08. "Reiketsu Nariseba": Very heavy song, definitely one of the heaviest on the album. Kyo using a disturbing type of vocals, where it sounds like he's strangling himself. All of it is high octaine right untill you get to a little jam type bit, mid-way threw the song, which breaks the song up nicely, but then moving back into the "I'm going to beat the shit outta' you with the rest the heavy bit" riff. Really good if you love the heavy side of Diru. 09. "Ware, Yami Tote...": Acoustic guitars are the order of the day here. This song basically shocases the softer side to Kyo's voice. IMO, it's the weakest track, but it's still amazing. 10. "Bugaboo": Bellowing bass and drums to start with, then lining up for whaling guitars and screams from Kyo. I love the guitars in particular in this one. 11. "Gaika, Chinmoku Ga Nemuru Koro": Another favourite of mine from the album; starting with a soft side, then kicking you in the face once again with it's heavy, pounding instrumentals, which consists of Kyo whaling and screaming, grunting as he does, but then soon moves to give you a hair raising chorus. Vocally Kyo does it all, and I think that's why I love it so much. 12. "Dozing Green": Fat, heavy and hectic riffs, which do another build up, but remain meaty and consistant till you get to the chorus. This is one of my favourite bass riffs from Toshiya; and I think this is one of the songs that all the musicians get abit of the lime-light, as they all play phenominally. A fine choice for a single. 13. "Inconvenient Ideal": Ending the album with a soft, epic sounding song. Soft vocals to start with, that lead into amazing highs. Perfect way to end the album.

Kyo's voice is just ridiculous. I haven't come across any singer like this guy. He has no limit to his voice, as he clearly proves to everyone in this album. Every one of his contributions to the songs have been essential to the album, and wouldn't be half as good without them. Ranging from the lowest bellows to some sick highs. A true vocalist. Lyrics are the about death, sorrow, the usual stuff they go on about these days, although, you can't really hear what he's saying, which makes it better for me.

An amazing album overall. I don't think it's their best album to date, but you have to give them credit, they one of the few bands to take risks and have it pay-off. All of their albums have been different in some form. But I think this album has morphed their sound and it has moved them into new and exciting directions. I'm looking forward to the direction they go to in their next album.

Jau_Peacecraft
    Remaster that was released a few days ago is far better than the original version. Tracklist-order is still horrible tho, but at least the album sounds properly clean, spacious & refined vs. compressed, dirty, & muddled like the original remaster.