Uroboros review by Dir en grey

• Released: Nov 11, 2008
Dir en grey: Uroboros

It has been 4 years since the release of "Uroboros" in its original entity. As pretentious as the concept maybe, the band know that this album is their finest work in their career to-date. And they felt that the final product of 2008's version needed some fine tweaking to reach their satisfaction. Being a fan of these guy's since the release of "Uroboros", I can say that is album is not only my favourite album by the band themselves, but is also definitely one of my favourite albums of all time. The problem with these types of releases though, is you instantly think it is a money making ploy for business men to make a quick buck. The quick answer to this thought is it isn't; The mixing is alot cleaner, and everything sounds less condensed and more free. Taking the mixing and cleaner sound aside, there is also "Sa Bir" which has been expanded - a alot of people found it long winded and pointless, but I found it to be a brilliant line-up for "VINUSHKA" to kick in - along with "Hydra-666", that has been given a "reimagining" since its release on "Macebre" with the modernday sound of Diru. An finally "BUGABOO RESPIRA", which is an intimate track of just Kyo singing: Very claustrophobic (this is my least favourite addition to the album, as it feels more boring than anything else). But all the changes and additions to the album are much welcomed.

This album is the one where I think Kyo really goes all out with his vocal range. "Dum Spiro Spero" is a good album, but there is more screaming and grunting than actually singing - whereas "Uroboros" is the peak of evolution; from "Gauze" right up to "Marrow Of A Bone", all them skills he's used in them albums over the years, you'll find a nugget of each in this album.

This is an expensive purchase. It was a hard to find bargain near enough from the get go, so you need to ask yourself how much you loved the original album; If your a completist, it's worth the money, if you love your albums of supurb sound quality, this is worth it, if your a huge fan of the original, there is enough here to justify the money. On a personal level, I think this fine tweaking has only made the album that much deeper. I was also very pleased with them using the Japanese version of "Glass Skin" and "Dozing Green", as that was my main fault with the original version. All-in-all, I think they achieved what they set out to do. It's up to you to decide if it's just another cash-in or not.

travislausch
    The remaster is GREAT. Made this album a million times better. Even the songs I didn't like before, sound amazing now.
    suicideSaizuke
    I Love all their albums, this was a huge break through, but i hate how people compare old to new 24/7. Dir En Grey enters a new dimension with every album, so its hard to get comfy with a style they pursue.. So saying The death metal vocals isn't "Kyoish" insults me because all the old visual kei fans want cleaner vocals, im over all happy with all their albums. Instead of comparing them so blandly to catergorize where they stand. Just note that they are Dir En Grey and critize them as you never heard previous titles before, bc they change like moods.