Vulgar review by Dir en grey

• Released: Sep 15, 2003
Dir en grey: Vulgar

I liked the way the band sounded when I first heard the song "Obscure" off of this album. It's got kind of a heavy Coal Chamber-ish sound but with a Japanese/goth/visual kei feel. With the throbbing drum beats and heavy, screeching guitars, and dark vocals this record is perfect if you're into that kind of thing.

You probably won't understand most of the lyrics because they're all in Japanese unless you know the language but the sounds are dark, evil sounding some are growly and some are not, but they both fit with the music well and have kind of an almost deathmetal taste to them.

Besides the Japanese, Die En Grey, this album in particular, has a very bassy Coal Chamber, Mushroomhead or somewhat Korn-ish fell to the music but better. It has a Dark, macabre theme that gives it a sort of gothy feel, which is probably why it attracs the more goth, EGL, and visual kei types. I love the fact that even though Vulgar has a reconiseable sound to the music, it has it's own feel and darkness to it. It's worth checking out and buying if youre into Jrock, big bassy-ness, dark, somewhat evil macabre music.

goku77
    One of the greatest bands of all time... Right next to Mushroomhead, and Pig Destroyer for lyrical awsomeness.
    IamDMS
    dam man jus cus of this band i am hella into J-Rock now..... THANK YOU DIR EN GREY!!!!!1
    Spiritweaver
    IamDMS the exact same think happened to me too lol I saw their video for Agitated Scream Of Maggots from one of their albums and I've been hooked ever since! Rock on DEN!!!!!
    NightwishAngel
    Vulgar, IMO, is Dir En Grey's best album to date. It's their first turn into the genre of heavy metal and into darker territory. Kyo is one of the best songwriters out there today!
    The Yellow Star
    This was Dir en grey in their prime. Its one of their best albums, withering to death still had the spunk, but when the marrow of a bone came out, they lost it. Yea, there were still some elements of old Diru in there, but that album doesn't compare to Vulgar.
    osiris12
    This is my favorite Dir en Grey album of all. I love the heavy side of these guys, or the more "Westernized" sound, if you will. But I also really enjoyed Gauze, Macabre and Kisou. If you haven't heard those albums, check them out for sure. A bit different from this but still remarkable