Withering To Death review by Dir en grey

• Released: Mar 17, 2005
Dir en grey: Withering To Death

Dir En Grey, a influential Japanese rock band, have definately got alot 'heavier' for ther 5th album. If youve never heard of Dir en grey or the Japanese rock scene I'd advise you listen to Vulgar or Macabre first. That does not mean this album isn't anything special. Yes, it takes a couple of listens to get used to, but after that your in love.

The lyrics, as always, are dark and twisted. You might not be ablke to understand them, but that does not mean they wont add to the songs. There are a few ballard-ish songs on here where Kyo's (the vocalists) where his talent really stands out. If you've heard this album and don't think his voice is anything special. Go to one of their live shows. That will give you all the proof you need. Dir En Grey do include transltions to their songs which might shock and disturb, but also spark curiousity.

You cannot compare Dir En Grey to any other artist. They are completely orignal and unique. No other band comes close to what Kyo, Die, Kaoru, Toshiya and Shinya have. The most impressive songs, personally, on this album are The Final and Kodoku Ni Shisu, Yueni Kodoku. For me, they are damn close to perfection. One cristism I would have about this album is there is quite alot of shouting (controled shouting I must add), and maybe Kyo may want to tone that down in future. If this album was stolen/lost I would fly over to Japan in person and buy another one.

Exershio
    travislausch
    Exershio wrote: This is a good album, but it doesn't compare to their earlier music. Gauze, Kisou, and Macabre are by far the best.
    Hey man, don't forget Missa. It may have been lo-fi, but the music on it is just as orgasmic as anything Diru's released. As for this album, it slowly grew on me. SLOWLY.