Withering To Death review by Dir en grey

• Released: Mar 17, 2005
Dir en grey: Withering To Death

Dir En Grey, by far, is indeed a "rocker", as one might say. This isn't the typical J-pop that you'd hear as the theme of your favorite anime show or something of that nature. Dir En Grey gets down and dirty fast and lets people know they're there. Not only do they influence others to endorse in Japanese rock (J-rock), but they bring out a new sound that is individual, and somewhat inspiring. Songs like "Dead Tree", "Higeki Ha Mabuta Wo Oroshita Yasashiki Utsu", "Itoshisa Ha Fuhai Itsuki", and "The Final" are examples of the band's softer, ballad style. Others execute hardcore riffs and heaviness, like "Merciless Cult", "Saku", "Garbage", and "Spilled Milk". The songs are no joke, and can leave you breathtaken.

Kyo is, by far, the best vocalist you could ask for in such a band as this, or in any band for that matter. It's soothing, yet painful at times, but in a good way. He, noticeably, brings out all of his emotion in singing, and it certainly fits with the music. Also in "Withering To Death", the lyrics of Dir En Grey are psychotic and morbid, as you'd be familiar with from past albums. The lyrics seem to be derivited from pain that Kyo, the lyricist, suffers throughout life, and he can describe in excellent (although sometimes morbid) detail. "The Final" is, by far, one of the most emotional pieces of work I've heard of any band. (Luckily translations come with the CD). It deals a lot withb self-torture, meaningless in life, and suicide. It's striking at first, but when you really get into the lyrics you can almost actually feel what he does. "Kodou" is also very emotional and deals a lot with not being able to avoid fate. It's very catchy and easy to listen to. Another catchy song, my personal favorite, is probably "Machiavellism" which is very easy to get into. It's fast, edgy, got a great rock beat, and most of it is sung in English, so you'll be singing along right away! Although, it is also very depressing within the lyrics, despite it's upbeat sound.

Dir En Grey are, as cliche as it might sound, impossible to describe in one single word. A bunch you could use would be: individual, different, innovative, talented, amazing, unique, twisted, morbid, dark, heavy, soft, sad, persuasive, inflicting, definitive, and very easy to enjoy. They've definitely changed my viewpoint on Japanese music, after listening to few J-pop artists. These guys are like no other band. They know what they're doing. I deeply desire that anyone should also pick up their older albums like "Gauze" and "Vulgar" in some way. Those are also great Dir En Grey one-of-a-kinds and so are the other releases from them. If I had lost this album, I'd most definitely buy it again in any way that I could. This band is amazing and I couldn't be any happier after discovering them.

Exershio
    travislausch wrote: Exershio wrote: This is a good album, but it doesn't compare to their earlier music. Gauze, Kisou, and Macabre are by far the best. Hey man, don't forget Missa. It may have been lo-fi, but the music on it is just as orgasmic as anything Diru's released. As for this album, it slowly grew on me. SLOWLY.
    Missa was okay, but I think Gauze, Kisou, and Macabre were the best. This one is the worst yet, but it's not bad. It's too American sounding in my opinion. =/ They're changing their sound just to gain popularity in America.
    Jau_Peacecraft
    travislausch
    I couldn't care less if they admitted to stealing Western metal's sounds. The least they could do is steal from the good artists. =P
    TheDeusSyndrome
    Jau_Peacecraft wrote: Alrighty, it's time for the age old argument of "OH EM GEES ITS NOT JAPONESE SOUNDINGS THEREFORE IT SUCKS!@!@!@EINS" to die right now. If you bothered to listen to all the albums, you can easily see the evolution from MISSA to Withering, album by album. And while there's nothing wrong with MISSA, at the time, a lot of other bands were coming out with similar shit (if you wanna see who started all of that, check out Kuroyume). Dir en grey on missa basically sounded like a more unique Kuryoume-clone, and in their interviews, I'm sure Ive read that they more or less don't care to go back to their old sound or are in no rush to do so, much to the dismay of, and i use this term very loosely, "hardcore" fans, who seem to can't accept the fact that the world changes and they always have that one album to jack off too while ignoring their newer stuff. The argument that they are changing their sound just to become popular is at best, naive and trendy, but understandable if you are either a 36 year old man-child virgin or a hormonal closet case 15 year old white chick, in which neither of seem to know what Google is. But of course, since Dir En Grey happens to be a bit of an obscure band at UG, spewing naive and undeveloped statements can make you look like you know what your talking about. By the way, hate to break it to you but I live in America and I don't hear anything remotely sounding like dir en grey. I'm sure If I did, and any of those bands were any good, I probably wouldn't care much for DEG and would probably put in a comparison or two. i also second travis: the album took maybe it's 3rd or 4th listen for me to understand/really like it.
    I couldn't state it any better, honestly. Who the hell cares as to what is or isn't popular? I'm sure the fact that they sound less japanese probably makes them a fairly unique band. I happen to enjoy this CD, much to a few fellow posters here, after a few listens. By all means, I was hooked by "Saku", and happened upon a very very unique sound. Anyways, my point is this. All that griping and complaining about what is or isn't popular, or what is or isn't to sound right by their hardcore fans.. listen, just listen to what you like. Stop being scene; getting all infused in the politics of your own minds, and just enjoy the sound. If you don't enjoy the sound, don't listen to the CD. It's as if your favorite band ever were to stop rehashing the same song you absolutely want to make love to, you'll somehow stop finding a reason to exist. Without music progression, we'd all be stuck listening to the same crap over and over again. Get over it.
    _Toshie_
    Jau_Peacecraft wrote: Alrighty, it's time for the age old argument of "OH EM GEES ITS NOT JAPONESE SOUNDINGS THEREFORE IT SUCKS!@!@!@EINS" to die right now. If you bothered to listen to all the albums, you can easily see the evolution from MISSA to Withering, album by album. And while there's nothing wrong with MISSA, at the time, a lot of other bands were coming out with similar shit (if you wanna see who started all of that, check out Kuroyume). i heard kyo's inflience was kuroyume 8D Dir en grey on missa basically sounded like a more unique Kuryoume-clone, and in their interviews, I'm sure Ive read that they more or less don't care to go back to their old sound or are in no rush to do so, much to the dismay of, and i use this term very loosely, "hardcore" fans, who seem to can't accept the fact that the world changes and they always have that one album to jack off too while ignoring their newer stuff. The argument that they are changing their sound just to become popular is at best, naive and trendy, but understandable if you are either a 36 year old man-child virgin or a hormonal closet case 15 year old white chick, in which neither of seem to know what Google is. But of course, since Dir En Grey happens to be a bit of an obscure band at UG, spewing naive and undeveloped statements can make you look like you know what your talking about. By the way, hate to break it to you but I live in America and I don't hear anything remotely sounding like dir en grey. I'm sure If I did, and any of those bands were any good, I probably wouldn't care much for DEG and would probably put in a comparison or two. i also second travis: the album took maybe it's 3rd or 4th listen for me to understand/really like it.
    kmceric1004
    amazing album. even tho i cud not make out wat they were saying even tho sum of it's in english..i cudnt care less,tho: 'effect > lyrics themselves' for me and WTD is just spot-on