Dire Straits review by Dire Straits

• Released: Jun 3, 1996
Dire Straits: Dire Straits

Dire Straits were an English rock band, formed in 1977 by Mark Knopfler (guitar and vocals), his brother David Knopfler (guitar), John Illsley (bass), and Pick Withers (drums), and subsequently managed by Ed Bicknell. Although the band was formed in an era when punk rock reigned, Dire Straits worked within the conventions of classic rock, albeit with a stripped-down sound that appealed to modern audiences weary of the overproduced stadium rock of the '70s. In their early days, Mark and David requested that pub owners turn down the amps so that patrons could converse while the band played, indicative of their unassuming demeanor. Despite this oddly self-effacing approach to rock and roll, Dire Straits soon became hugely successful with their first album going multi-platinum globally. Dire Straits is the self-titled debut album by British rock band Dire Straits, released in 1978 (see 1978 in music). The album was noted for the single "Sultans of Swing", which was a US hit a full five months after the album was released. It was later remastered and released with the rest of the Dire Straits catalogue on September 19, 2000. The CD cover image is taken from a painting by Chuck Loyola.

The lyrics are about the "normal" trouble you can have in your life. Things like being lonely, being betrayed. The music complies very well to the lyrics, because the music makes you feel the meaning of the song, even when you don't understand the lyrics (if you can't speak english for example). The singer skills are good. Not very special, but good enough to create a nice album with some nice singing.

I can compare this to most other Dire Straits albums, especially Communiqu. The best songs on the album are "down to the waterline" and of course "Sultans of Swing" (if you wanna play it, it starts with Dm, C, Bm, A. I'm not sure so first check out the tabs). It's not gonna be lost or stolen, because I'm really careful with my CD's, but if I'd lose it, I would buy it again. And a reserve CD, because the burglar would like it so good that he wants another CD.

Sgt. Pepper
    Yeah it's a good album though Sultans chords are Dm, C, Bb, A, for the first bit anyway, then an F gets thrown in