Dire Straits review by Dire Straits

• Released: Jun 3, 1996
Dire Straits: Dire Straits

Dire Straits was a British rock band, formed in 1977 by Mark Knopfler (guitar and vocals), his brother David Knopfler (guitar), John Illsley (bass), and Pick Withers (drums), and subsequently managed by Ed Bicknell. Although the band was formed in an era when punk rock reigned, Dire Straits worked within the conventions of classic rock, albeit with a stripped-down sound that appealed to modern audiences weary of the overproduced stadium rock of the 1970s. In their early days, Mark and David requested that pub owners turn down the amps so that patrons could converse while the band played indicative of their unassuming demeanor. Despite this oddly self-effacing approach to rock and roll, Dire Straits soon became hugely successful with their first album going multi-platinum globally. The band's best-known songs include "Sultans of Swing," "Romeo and Juliet," "Tunnel of Love," "Money for Nothing," "Walk of Life" and "Brothers in Arms." Dire Straits is the self-titled debut album by British rock band Dire Straits, released in 1978 (see 1978 in music). The album was noted for the single "Sultans of Swing", which at first broke a US Top Five early 1979 (being a hit full five months after the album was released there) and then raised up at #8 in the British charts. It was remastered and released with the rest of the Dire Straits catalogue in 1996 for most of the world outside the U.S. and on September 19, 2000 in the United States. The cover image is taken from a painting by Chuck Loyola. Country band Highway 101 later covered "Setting Me Up", taking it to the top ten on the U.S. country singles charts in 1990.

The lyrics are about things in life, like love, hate and whatever. The lyrics support the music well, but the music creates the ambiance, not the lyrics. The vocals sound really good. I don't have a lot different things to tell about it, because I prefer to listen to the guitars (after all I'm a guitar player, not a singer).

It doesn't compare to anything except for the dire straits. The band really has a unique sound. The most impressive song is, I believe, Sultans Of Swing. This is probably the best known dire straits song. In fact, every song is impressively good. If it was lost, I'd beat up the burglar and get a new one the next day.

geluidsterroris
    Sgt. Pepper wrote: You copied the "Sound" section off of Wikipedia
    so what ?
    master0fpuppe
    I think he means that it's basic chord shapes or some shit like that. Plebs... Virtuosity isn't the only thing that matters