Sultans Of Swing: The Very Best Of Dire Straits review by Dire Straits

• Released: Nov 10, 1998
Dire Straits: Sultans Of Swing: The Very Best Of Dire Straits

Fantastic. Every aspect of this album has been arranged and performed in such a way that allows you to relax, sit back and just let that gentle sounds of Dire Straits run through you. All the tracks that appear on here are (or seem to be) perfect. The track, Money For Nothing, holds an unrepeatable performance with Sting. The track, Local Hero/Wild Theme, holds an also unrepeatable live performance. Mr Knopfler is a living legend of the music world.

Mark Knopfler is a master at writing lyrics. He may not be the best singer in the world but he sure as hell knows how to put words to music. All the lyrics in all his songs have some meaning whether they are in a simple but extremely effective balled (Romeo And Juliet) or if they are in a song about a band trying to make a living by playing short gigs in pubs and clubs (Sultans Of Swing), everything he says in his songs have meaning and effect you in some sort of way. There isn't another person in the music industry, man or woman, that could pull off the lyrical (and musical) masterpeices that Knopfler has created. If I could salute anyone as a musical gods, it would be Dire Straits.

If you want to go out and buy an '80s/early '90s album then this is the one you need to buy. Dire Straits are everything from rock to blues to pop, no-one else that I can or could ever think of come(s) close to what they have acheived. This CD is a must-have!

Kikuta
    Excellent album, absolutely brilliant - The live track Local Hero/Wild Theme is the highlight for me.
    sam453
    Knopfler is probably one of the best guitarists next to Page, Van Halen and Hendrix
    steph_man_180
    Simply wonderful!! Mark Knopfler shows great skills as a guitarist and the other dudes in the band rock too, and the outro solo of "Sultan of Swing" should rank way higher than the lousy 22nd place that it was given.
    steph_man_180
    Simply wonderful. Mark Knopfler shows great skills as a guitarist and the other dudes in the band rock too. The outro solo of Sultan of Swing should rank way higher than the lousy 22nd place it was given.
    belavista man
    Sgt. Pepper wrote: Andy Summers is one of the best guitarist in the world Belvista man! But c'mon, the outro solo in 'Sultans of Swing' has been voted the 22nd greatest guitar solo ever, but for some reason Knopfler is always underrated. He should be up there with Hendrix and Clapton.
    I agree totally
    Sgt. Pepper
    belavista man
    I'd say that Andy Summers is pretty under-rated but Knopfler never gets the credit he deserves.
    which ones pink
    Phil Keaggy is even more underrated than Knopfler. By the way, both are way better gutarists than Eddie Van Halen.
    jcthomasva
    don't waste your time or money with the hits album - get Brothers in Arm (a remastered one, because the sound on the original 1986 CD issue is weak), on every street, and then their first album in that order. If you remain interested, invest in communique, making movies and love over gold (live).
    flemflames
    I love this album! Great review too! I think Dire Straits is the most underrated band on the planet.
    De-De-Dee
    I agree with alliwant dude Knopfler is extremely underrated. But i do love that Alexi Laiho (C.O.B.) said that was his favorite guitarist...i haven't heard that from many ppl
    alliwant
    Mark Knopfler is terribly under-rated. Love the album. Agree with the radio edit comment by LeftyBlake26
    LeftyBlake26
    I would have to agree that they are one of the most under-rated bands of all time. Mark Knopfler is pure brilliance. The only thing I dont like about this album is that it features the radio edits of too many songs such as "Money for Nothing" and "Brothers in Arms." Great album even though I dont like compilation albums.