Rise Up review by Disciple

• Released: Jun 7, 2005
Disciple: Rise Up

This band sounds like a vocalist from an alternative rock band or a punk pop band who was slapped together with a backing band that came deep from the depths of hell. Which makes no sense because they are a christian band. This bothers me. However, these boys are very musically talented. They combine melodic riffs with heavy drop C crunch and speen to form a fast metal tornado. They are not quite hurricane caliber.

Being an atheist I have no interest in listening to words that go against my beliefs. So I don't. I totally tune the lyrics out but I think the vocal melodies are catchy and are karaokeable. The vocalist I think doesn't really belong with this type of band. He belongs with a band in the more mainstream punk-pop scene. The combination just isn't that great. I admire the fact that they tried it and the backing vocals sound fine behind him.

I listened to this CD for a few days and then just shelved it and pulled my Slayer and Dimmu Borgir back out. Honestly! I'm not trying to downgrade the band because 'm sure they are great guys but they just didn't really capture my attention like I thought the would. This really is actually a pretty good record but not one of my favorites. Best songs: The Wait Is Ovet, Into Black, Rise Up.

jrqberry
    Interesting that an atheist came across a Disciple cd. I always wonder whether or not that happens.
    master_of_penci
    you put it away because you got the self-titled cd...get back again or by god or this might sting a little...actually get any cd except for the self-titled cd...i was dissapointed when i heard and they are my fav band...back again is the best one...he screams the most on that one, the songs are all around heavier and and there are actaully real live solos...
    shadow3121
    i have a couple of metal head christian friends who really liked this band and got me into them, and yeah, their earlier stuff is better. but that doesnt mean that the current stuff is crap. they are one of the hardest rocking chistian metal bands i know and have an overwhelming stage presence. i can see why you put it away, im gunna admit that i did the same thing. they get old, and being used to things like slayer and metallica and the lot disciple seems a little.. less rock than they were before. but still an awesome namd nonetheless
    JohanH
    This album is kind of the worst Disciple made, but its stil not bad.. I think the best on this cd is Backstabber or Rise up.. And yes, i agree Back again is the best they made
    metalchristian
    There i
    itgoesto11 wrote: atheists and christian metal bands just dont mix
    The only difference between regular metal bands and christian metal bands is their beliefs. I personally am a Christian, but I have non-Christian friends who love these guys.
    RAGman22ReborN
    um, first off, this album is not called rise up, this is their self-titled album. secondly, they've had the same vocalist for almost 10 years in the span of their career and thirdly, scars remain (their latest album) and by God are their best albums by far. this album just didn't do justice.
    GodsMalak
    I love this album. I've been watching/listening to Disciple since 1991 and have loved every minute of it!