Bang Bang Review

Dispatch: Bang Bang
Release Date: Jun 6, 2000
Label: Bomber Records
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock
Bang Bang is a sharp collection of ten songs that is pleasing on all ends of the musical spectrum, from instruments to vocals to songwriting.
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Bang Bang Reviewed by: ooberuno, on december 29, 2006

Sound: I find the music that Dispatch plays to be very appealing to fans of the guitar. They appear to play unplugged instrumentals, blending them together to produce a nice and clear sound. While this means that their solos are probably not as impressive as a lot of other bands out there, the chords they use are still extremely fun to hear. They have a scat-like style, using quick sounds and keeping the listener in their seats wanting to sing along. I really enjoy listening to songs such as Here We Go and Bats in the Belfry. They employ a style that perfectly blends the acoustic instrumentation with a jazz-like style while never seeming boring. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics go along very well with the type of jazz and scat combination they have going. Another interesting quality of their lyrics is their ability to do just more than entertain, as found in songs such as Out Loud. They are able to evoke emotion into their music that some of the other more mainstream bands have either lost or never really had. This kind of music really makes one think while they are listening. // 9

Overall Impression: Personally, Dispatch is one of my favorite bands after I decided to learn how to play the guitar. They are also part of the reason I came to this decision. I think that many of their songs take basic chords and sounds that anyone could produce using a guitar but take them to another level with their skills and artistry. After picking up my own guitar, I had a newfound appreciation with the songs in this album. Originally, I only listened to Here We Go and Bats in the Belfry due to the fast-paced style and amazing lyrics that I generally like in music. But after dabbling in guitar work, I also found myself enjoying songs such as Out Loud. As for The General, personally, I think this song is overplayed on the radio but it's a good song nonetheless. I just wish it wouldn't be on the air and played almost every hour of the day. So if you want to learn how to play the guitar for your own personal enjoyment, I highly recommend this album. This band is an inspiration to all people who want to go off and become a musician on their own. // 10

Comments