Storm Of The Light's Bane review by Dissection

• Released: Jan 23, 1996
Dissection: Storm Of The Light's Bane

Dissection is a great band that definetly does not get the credit for what they had did in their earlier days with their music. This album is one of the first mixes of black metal with death metal elements and Dissection did it perfectly! So anyway, the album. The sound is very atmospheric, everytime you listen to this album it feels like you are riding through a brutal winter storm. Many of the riffs are melodic, and they will send a chill down your spine. There are acoustic parts in a lot of the songs also. The drums on this album are very good also because they are mixed in perfectly with the music. The overall sound of this album is very hypnotising and translike. Unlike other scandinavian black metal bands at the time, the recording on this album is pretty good.

The lyrics are based on typical black metal themes such as Satan, Darkness, the occult ect. But the lyrics are written in a different way than most black metal bands, they are written in a much more poetic way and it makes the lyrics sound like they were written by satan himself. Such as the song Where Dead Angels Lie, the lyrics make the song sound like a dark evil fairy tale. Overall, the lyrics are very good. I also love Jon's vocals in this album. His screams are very raspy and sometimes his vocals sound like an evil whisper in the wind.

This was my first Dissection album, and if you want to get into black metal this is a good album to start with. This is one of my favorite black metal albums and if you like this album you might want to get Dissection's first release, The Somberlain. I love this album, and if I lost the album I would by it again.