Storm Of The Light's Bane Review

Dissection: Storm Of The Light's Bane
Release Date: Jan 23, 1996
Label: NBA
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Scandinavian Metal
Storm Of The Light's Bane is deservedly hailed as a landmark in the melodic black/death metal genre.
 Lyrics: 9.7
 9.9
 9.9
 9.8
 1,256
Storm Of The Light's Bane Reviewed by: Emenius Sleepus, on may 14, 2007

Sound: The second album by the now-defunct Swedish black metal outfit shows a clear progression from their first effort, The Somberlain. While continuing in the same vein, Dissection have expanded on Somberlain's melodic black metal, and the resulting collection of songs shows a marked improvement in composition and songwriting. The sound is melodic, but at the same time uncompromising. The leads are placed in all the right places, the acoustic passages are beautiful and haunting with gorgeous melodies. The guitars on this album are worth a separate mention. Twin guitars can often get lost in the mix, and some bands fail to take advantage of the capabilities two guitars can give them. Dissection avoids both of these issues. Each guitar has a distinctive tone, and the parts are magnificently written to complement each other. The result is exceptional here, with a very powerful effect. Drums are great too. Mixed very well, so you can hear everything that's played yet it doesn't dominate the overall palette. And the talent of Ole Ohman. He doesn't overplay, but his playing is incredibly dynamic. // 10

Lyrics: Jon's vocals are something I always enjoyed, even on the disappointing Reinkaos. This album is no exception. Consistent quality vocal performance, and the lyrics to match. Jon had strong convictions, and the views expressed may not be something everyone agrees with. At the same time, they are well-written, and written from the heart, which gives the record the authenticity a lot of bands lack. // 10

Overall Impression: This album has been called "The pinnacle of Melodic Black Metal", and after hearing it once it's obvious why. From the chilling acoustic intro of Where Dead Angels Lie, to the excellent riffing in Unhallowed, and the mournful, piano-driven "No Dreams Breed in Breathless Sleep" instrumental, the album delivers consistent outstanding music, track after track. This album is born to be played on repeat, and the melodies captivate the listener's mind for days. The only track I found a little subpar was Soul Reaper, but even then it's a fantastic song. It's just the others are better. This album is a must-own for any fan of metal. // 10

Storm Of The Light's Bane Reviewed by: LedZeppelin, on december 17, 2005

Sound: This is a review of the Storm Of The Light's Bane/Where Dead Angles Lie digipack. I've never seen the two sold separately so far, but I could be wrong. The sound is pure black metal - that mysterious, beautifully expansive guitar sound typical of a lot of black metal bands nowadays, but Dissection certainly do it to perfection. The recording quality isn't purposefully shabby like older Darkthrone and Mayhem, which suits it. It has more of an atmospheric quality to it, though it certainly has the pagan ideas molded into the music. Or, as vocalist/guitarist Jon Nodveidt puts it, "The music and the lyrics are rituals, invocations and evocations to the gods of darkness." There are only a few very brief guitar solos, but the playing is incredibly technical nonetheless, taking a classical influence in the acoustic portions and the two piano-driven tracks. Beautiful playing, perfect sound. The drums are particularly great - they drive the music and yet are in the background, sounding as if the band was playing in the middle of a cold winter storm. Perfect sound. // 10

Lyrics: Pretty typical black metal stuff about Satan, burning Christians, etc. Of course, it's made eerier by the fact that Jon is in jail currently for killing a man, but it's nothing fans of Mayhem and Burzum aren't familiar with. They certainly work with the music. Jon has a great voice, using the time-honored high-pitched black metal raspy growl. He tries out some gutteral vocals on a few tracks with great results, which makes me wish he had experimented a bit more. Still, just as the "cookie monster" death metal style has worked since Chuck Schuldiner, Morbid Angel, and the like, this vocal style is great for black metal. Also a good album for people trying to get into heavier music. // 9

Overall Impression: Haven't heard any other Dissection albums so I can't judge, but this ranks high on my list of albums anyway. Every track is perfectly placed, even though the album is a mix of two albums, it flows better than it would without the extra Where Dead Angels Lie tracks. However, after No Dreams Breed in Breathless Sleep, the true "outro" to most of the album, there are a few extra tracks, inncluding a demo version of Dead Angels that has almost no point other than its sub-par sound, though that's obviously to be expected. There are also two covers: Elisabeth Bathory by Tormenter, which is alright, and a cover of Anti Christ by Slayer. The Slayer cover has great guitar tone but not much else besides that. However, after that is a great and brief piano piece called Feather's Fell. After the breath of air comes the most aggressive track on the whole CD, Son of Mourning. Very different - still the same Dissection, but not as much beauty as raw power. In my opinion, the album could have been reworked to cut out The Dead Angels demo and the two covers, but it's all great material, and the not-so-good is certainly listenable. I love just about everything on Storm of the Light's Bane, with the exception of the 3 useless tracks I mentioned before. If it was stolen or lost I'd absolutely buy another copy. Great black metal, great metal, great music, period. Get it. Especially good for an introduction into true metal or black metal. // 10

Storm Of The Light's Bane Reviewed by: laffyjam, on august 31, 2006

Sound: Dissection is a great band that definetly does not get the credit for what they had did in their earlier days with their music. This album is one of the first mixes of black metal with death metal elements and Dissection did it perfectly! So anyway, the album. The sound is very atmospheric, everytime you listen to this album it feels like you are riding through a brutal winter storm. Many of the riffs are melodic, and they will send a chill down your spine. There are acoustic parts in a lot of the songs also. The drums on this album are very good also because they are mixed in perfectly with the music. The overall sound of this album is very hypnotising and translike. Unlike other scandinavian black metal bands at the time, the recording on this album is pretty good. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are based on typical black metal themes such as Satan, Darkness, the occult ect. But the lyrics are written in a different way than most black metal bands, they are written in a much more poetic way and it makes the lyrics sound like they were written by satan himself. Such as the song Where Dead Angels Lie, the lyrics make the song sound like a dark evil fairy tale. Overall, the lyrics are very good. I also love Jon's vocals in this album. His screams are very raspy and sometimes his vocals sound like an evil whisper in the wind. // 10

Overall Impression: This was my first Dissection album, and if you want to get into black metal this is a good album to start with. This is one of my favorite black metal albums and if you like this album you might want to get Dissection's first release, The Somberlain. I love this album, and if I lost the album I would by it again. // 10

Comments