The Somberlain review by Dissection

• Released: Jan 1, 1993
Dissection: The Somberlain

This CD is the birth of a new generation, the blackened death metal generation. This album also gave birth to one of the most discredited black metal acts of all time. The main black metal sound is mixed with melodic death metal, and soothing classical guitars to give birth to what is now melodic black metal. Dissection is a band for anyone who likes music. When I first heard this CD I was blown away, every instrument goes together almost surreally. This was Dissection's first album, and it shows the creativity of a young band, along with the stamina required for all of their songs. The acoustic guitars blow me away, along with being a heavy as hell black metal band, the guitarist John Zwetsloot has one of the most amazing acoustic skills I've ever heard. On a few of the songs, I could hear a striking resemblance to a black metal band of now, Naglfar, and it only seems fitting dissection was a great influence.

The lyrics impress me, and that is one of the things I look for in a band, lyrical content. If a band has bad lyrics, they tend to make the band seem less creative and other wise, not as good as they should be. But with this CD the lyrics only make the journey that is The Somberlain, a more intense one. Some of the lyrics are not at the same pace of the music so Jon Nodtveidt has to somewhat speed them up the keep up. But I feel as long as he gets the most part of it off they still impress me. It's good to see such a young band creating great lyrics like this. Jon Nodtveidt has a great black metal voice, and the opening track shows the spectrum of his singing skills when he lets of a very clean, Tom Araya like wail, adding depth to a very empowering song.

This only compares with it's predecessor, Storm of the Lights Bane, because their final studio CD takes a step in a different direction. But this is the most impressive debut black metal album in history, and I think this is the only Dissection album you need. The most impressive songs are, all of them, this CD has everything and lacks nothing. Songs that stand out are the first two (Black Horizons and The Somberlain), which are the longest songs but the most moving, they start you on this journey that is The Somberlain send you towards an experience that will change the way you listen to Black Metal. Also the 3 acoustic songs written and composed by John Zwetsloot, are stunning, they give the album a melodic feel that makes it a new experience every time you listen to it. If this album was stolen from me I would find the person and crucify them! But if I couldn't I would defiantly run out and but it ASAP, this is the only CD I own that means more to me than anything.

swedish_death
    I definitely would not call Dissection "blackened death metal". Dissection is a legendary band but fall into the melodic black metal category. A true example of "blackened death" would be belphegor, myrkskog (early stuff), etc.
    Nightstrider
    How are they discredited? The only real negative publicity Dissection got (as far as I know) was for their last album. Pretty good review, but I noticed you said Storm of the Light's Bane was a predecessor, instead of the sucessor.
    Emenius Sleepus
    Correction: Storm of the Light's Bane is the successor, not predecessor. It's the second album, and shows a lot of maturity and growth for the band. Also Jon Nodtveidt (sp?) who is the main songwriter/singer/guitarist played acoustic guitars I'm pretty sure
    westernfilet
    MauserMorris
    after 25 years of active listening music (from classic to blues and black metal to ethnic music) and lately playing music I can really share that this cd is really good. It is so good that it is part of the best cd in my collection, maybe the best...
    Blargaha
    @Emenius Sleepus Zwetsloot composed and played all acustic songs, I don't think Ndtveit played at all in those songs, only Zwetsloot is credited. As far as I'm concerned, Dissection invented blackened death
    mtllica
    westernfilet wrote: DIssection are/were amazing. However, I still can't understand why people bash "Reinkaos?" That CD is amazing.... a classic instantly. Sure, it's different.... but in a very positive way!
    THANK YOU. Reinkaos is just great. Anyways, I love The Somberlain. Such a great debut for an amazing band.
    MauserMorris
    I agree! all albums are superb