Proudly Dressed Review

Genre: Rock
Label: self-released
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Proudly Dressed Reviewed by: MittenSmuggler, on july 08, 2009

Sound: 'Proudly Dressed' is the first EP to be released by Reading's pop-rockers DissolvedIn. The sound of the EP is similar to what has been produced by other bands from this genre - rather like a mix between You Me At Six and Kids In Glass Houses. Most, if not all of the songs on this EP are extremely catchy and uplifting and rather summery in nature. 'Proudly Dressed' is a professionally mixed and produced album with good use of instrumentation (the introduction of 'Mapped Roads' uses a glockenspiel, and throughout 'egocentric' are generous uses of synths), and maturly scoped songs which are unique, amongst a sea of generic pop-rock. DissolvedIn quote Blink-182 to be an influence on thier work, and in some ways it shows through. The opening track on this EP, 'Mapped Roads' was voted by Kerrang! as the number one song to listen to back in Decenmber of 2008. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on the 'Proudly Dressed' EP are very well thought out and are generally of a positive mood ('...and though I'm tired and jaded I know I'm going to make it' is sung in Egocentric, and 'Reject, dispose of synthetic solution, find your own content' is sung in Mapped Roads). The singer is incredibly talented, and in 'First Impressions' uses vocal-correction software extremely well. The lyrics of the EP fit in well with the music and most of the songs are very catchy. There are many 'woah-oh-oh' refrains, which are easy to sing along to and generally the choruses are easy to remember ('So just grab my hand I'll show you how to dance. Just grab my hand I'll show you how to move' - in the song 'Avioding Atrophy') // 9

Overall Impression: Since being formed back in 2005, DissolvedIn have come a long way. Their sound on this EP is mature, well-produced and obviously very well thought out. I really like the fact that Dissolved In use different instrumentation in their songs and the fact that even after hearing their songs a few times, you can still sing along. There isn't anything in particular which I dislike about this album, only the fact that despite its similarities to other bands, it's not got the recognition it deserves! This album easily compares to anything which other bands in the same genre would produce - You Me at Six, Attack Attack, Kids in Glass Houses and many others. If the CD was stolen, I would definately buy another copy. // 9

Comments