Asylum review by Disturbed

• Released: Aug 31, 2010
Disturbed: Asylum

Since the esteemed members of UG.com have delivered such scathing reviews of this album, I felt it was necessary to contribute an alternate point of view, after all, every accused needs a defense. Disturbed's Asylum was released in August of 2010, after 10 years together as a band. While not their masterpiece, this album is nothing to be ashamed of. The sound of this album is exactly what allows it to stand among Disturbed's other work without fading into the background. Certainly, it does not depart from style very far, but there is a degree of innovation here. Remnants sets the stage very well, and Asylum follows it with equal vigour. This is some of guitarist Dan Donegan's best work, in my opinion. He has mastered the art of multi-tracking himself on guitar, and his electronic additions well earn him the title of "The Dan Donegan Orchestra," as the band sometimes refers to him. "Serpentine" is a track I feel is particularly noteworthy in this regard. The Animal, Warrior, and the surprise U2 cover, "Ishwilf" are all songs showcasing Donegan's superb ear. 9 for remaining true to style while creating music with genuine impact.

Lyrics on this album are nothing special. Aside from a few tracks. I admit, other than a few tracks which I intend to point out, this is effectively standard fare Disturbed. Many songs tend to blend into a schmozzle of dark musings, but there is potential here. "The Animal" is a shining example of this. David Draiman's intensity is unrivaled, and the song paints a bloody, gothic, poetic picture. Sure, it's a werewolf song. Somehow, it still works. "Another Way To Die" is scary. Particularly when combined with the video, it is a disconcerting awakening to the consequences of our actions as an industrialized society. Mixing barked verses with an anthemic chorus, this song is an excellent lyrical contribution. Other songs I like in terms of the lyrics are The Infection, Warrior, and the bonus track, Leave it Alone. The album gets a 7 lyrically because as I said, aside from these few, the others are nothing new. However, David Draiman is nothing if not emphatic, and manages to keep the monotony in check. Mostly. I like him as a singer.

Now, the overall impression. In my humble opinion, this album is more than worthy of a full playthrough or five. I've listened to it a great deal since it came out. Disturbed have carved themselves a niche in the genre of metal, and they have proven themselves capable once again. In fact, I actually listen to Disturbed more than Ozzy! There! I said it! Despite this album's somewhat lackluster filler tracks, it's still a decent piece of work. My favorite songs on the album are as follows: Leave It Alone, The Infection, Another Way to Die, and Warrior. I would buy it again if I found myself out of possession, and I recommend it to any and all fans of Disturbed. My overall mark for this album is an 8. Let the flamers come.

Smokinjoerules1
    My favourite albums are joint top Indestructible and the sickness, 10kfists, believe and asylum ae equal
    Xdestroyer567
    Reviewing music is a very sketchy process. People's opinions regarding music, in general, are all going to vary greatly. If I would have read the reviews before listening to this album, I probably would have not liked it as much when I actually heard it. As I listen to this album, I hear a band who may have a relatively similar sound throughout all their music, but I could listen to all of their albums through a million times and never get bored. My opinion on this band is that they are one of the best bands out there right now, still holding true to their sound although new influences may show themselves. Disturbed continues to deliver with this excellent album. Draiman, don't be put down by these reviews, you will always have fans out there who can't wait for the next album. I know I can't!
    Chickenboot
    I really liked this album, I don't find it as good as Indestructible, but it is my second favourite one.
    JimBonJovi
    Jeremy Parker's production is very clean and clear letting each instrument breathe. Dan's a great guitarist.
    CiReMaN
    5MinutesAlone wrote: When bands stick to their own style, they become boring...When bands try new horizons,they become sell outs... Conclusion : The world is full of amazingly dumb retards
    Mainer
    In my opinion, Disturbed is much like AC/DC, every album, every show, and every video sounds exactly the same. But it kicks ass every time. Kinda like the Three Stooges also, same thing over and over again but its good.