Believe Review

9.5
 8.5
 1,190
Believe Reviewed by: PsychoWolfD, on may 10, 2004

Sound: Believe was less heavier than Disturbed's previous album, The Sickness, but it was good in its own ways. This album is great because of the very graceful style of the overall sound. Dan Donegan's guitar technique is admirable, not bad for a nu-metal guitarist. There was either keyboard or orchestration on some of the tracks like title track "Believe". The final track "Darkness" (not to be confused with the band Darkness, which sucks ass) is a ballad featuring an acoustic sound, a guest cellist, and piano, and singer David Draiman is full-on ballad vocals. // 8

Lyrics: Like I said, on "Darkness", Draiman uses a full ballad sound. His aggressive vocals, best expressed in tracks "Prayer", "Intoxication", "Rise", the explicit "Liberate", and more, are powerful, and is made to make you hear them out. The lyrics make great sense, "Believe" talks of religion, "Liberate" talks of the limits of the mind, and common topics are about dark spirits or something like that, in my opinion. // 10

Overall Impression: As nu-metal goes, Disturbed are a great group, both albums The Sickness and this Believe good in their own way. There is sort of a message in the album to keep 'Believing', and it is a great inspiration. Even though I am a big fan of 80s hair metal, this album does not deserve to be hated. It is good work, so you may want to get it. Do not let anyone steal or damage it because it would be a great friend to you. This is one of the albums where every track is good, they are "Prayer", "Liberate", "Awaken", "Believe", "Remember", "Intoxication", "Rise", and 5 more. Try to compare it to other albums. you will find none like it. // 10

Believe Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 28, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is amazing. From the moment I heard the first single "Prayer" to the time I bought the album and listened to the entire track-list the raw distorted guitars, heavy double-bass drum, tight galloping bass rythmn and the raspy yet melodic singing of Dave Draiman was bore into my head. You can definately tell much more work was put into this album than their debut The Sickness. Dan Donegan definately broke out of the box for this album. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are about the same as on "The Sickness." It's the singing that has changed. The catchy-attention grabbing yelps he is characterized by are now used more sparingly and lush, melodic, full-throated singing is now present. It's good s--t. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this album is definately a giant progression over "The Sickness." Everything has been amplified and taken to another level all-together. I still prefer the "jam" songs from "The Sickness", but this album definately was written better and produced better. Highlighting songs would be: Prayer, Liberate, Remember, Intoxicate and Rise. // 8

Believe Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 14, 2004

Sound: This album is a huge step up from what The Sickness was. This time, the guys leaned more towards the heavy metal side. The first CD was more effect/electronic driven. This time around, guitars dominate the songs. There are tons of badass riffs, such as those to Rise, Prayer, Remember, and others. And I know I complain about this all the time, but the only things missing are solos, although the choruses to songs like Remember and Awaken sound kinda like solo-type things. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have changed a bit, but what pleased me most were the vocals. David Draiman was able to do more, vocally, on this album. Sometimes, he still does his really low whisper thingies, but he avoids rapping, which he did a bit of on the last album. // 10

Overall Impression: Believe exceeds far and beyond what The Sickness was. My favorite songs were Prayer, Liberate, Awaken, Remember, Rise, Bound, and Darkness. The best things about this album are that there's no rapping, no electronics, lots of cool riffs, and lots of cool songs. I doubt my massive CD collection would be complete without this one. When I first heard Prayer on the radio, I knew I had to hear the rest of the CD. I'm very glad I did. // 10

Believe Reviewed by: x8DisturbeD8x, on september 20, 2005

Sound: Disturbed went a little lighter than before. They still have the hard songs like Liberate, Bound etc. Then they also have the more normal type rock such as Prayer, Mistress, Rise, Intoxication etc. Then they have a couple of lighter songs like Remember and Believe. So Disturbed had a good variety of sound on this album. Dan did a great job on the guitar, Mike did awesome on his double bass drum beats. // 10

Lyrics: When you put the CD in and start to listen to it you feel like it is asking you what do you believe? Every song David does great in going with the music. David does a great job in singing all of the songs. I always love listening to him. // 10

Overall Impression: When you compare it to The Sickness they went a little lighter on the songs then before. Disturbed put a wide variety of songs on the CD. When I put it in I let it play, I love every track on it. Some favorites are Remember, Mistress, Rise, Prayer, Liberate and alot more. Disturbed did an awesome job on this CD. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of 10,000 Fists very soon to hear all of it. // 10

Comments