Indestructible review by Disturbed

• Released: Jun 3, 2008
Disturbed: Indestructible

So, ex-nu-metalers Disturbed are back with their latest effort, Indestructible. As stated in just about every interview they've done for the last year, the songs are indeed darker and more personal than ever. Personally, I think it's an interesting change considering they went from conflicts of faith on Believe to a very political and personal belief stance on Ten Thousand Fist and now they're almost baring their souls on Indestructible. The album starts off with some air-raid sirens and the sounds of guns, almost like a far away war sound. After about 30 seconds, the riff kicks in and instantly you can tell it's Disturbed. Then David starts singing, and to be honest, as brilliant as his voice sounds, some of the lyrics are a bit cheesy. Take a look around at your life, I'm an indestructible master of one! cause me no small discomfort. Anyway, more of that later. The album, musically, is amazingly strong. Disturbed have once again pulled out a great bunch of catchy but hard-hitting songs, and the emotion still shines through. The second track (and first single), Inside The Fire has absolutely brutal pre-chorus riff that honestly made me wonder if I was still listening to Disturbed or not and the chorus to Enough still puts shivers up my spine. Guitarist, Dan Donegan, has really stepped up his game in regards to technique and the solos that dot this album are quite enjoyable. Nothing too flashy, but they fit the situations they're in perfectly, which is an art sometimes lost in today's I can play the fastest music industry. Note: I'm not in anyway, shape or form making fun of guitarists who can shred, I love it most times, but hey, it's always great to hear a little 8 notes passage that touches you rather than a 30 note passage that amazes you. Drummer, Mike Wengren, is once again quite ingenious at writing drum parts that just fit perfectly with the riffs. Clever use of tom fills while keeping the beat and the like.

Right, David Draiman has always been a f--king fantastic vocalist. Able to sing these amazingly melodic passages then reverting to a rougher, tougher voice that still has an actual note is a rare gift and David uses it brilliantly. The lyrics on the other hand, as I've said before, are a tad cringe-worthy. Because of the personal nature of the most, if not all of the songs, I can't really blame David for just writing from the heart, however some of the lyrics approach a very cringe worthy stage. Most of the lyrics to the title track and to "Divide" make me wish I had an instrumental version. However, lyrics like those found on tracks like "Enough" and "The Night" are quite good. "The Cursed" also has some great vocal/drum/guitar syncopation that is extremely catchy.

Being a long time Disturbed fan, I found this CD a great addition. The band all perform admirably, David and Dan especially. It's a collective of 4 guys who can just wanna rock and rock they do. That said, the album is not quite up to the standard they set with "Ten Thousand Fists". They set a very high bar for themselves, and while they certainly didn't fail, they missed the bar by just the narrowest of margins. The songs are typical Disturbed fair, but the raw power and aggression from TTF is somewhat dulled. Still, a brilliant album and a worthy addition to any hard rock/metal fan's collection.

steve_a7x
    thisHATEinside
    Even though I hate Disturbed and their singer I LOVE this album because the guitar is SICK, honestly HUGE improvement over previous albums
    dio_dude
    you are my ****ing hero.
    lakai_guy
    lakai_guy
    [quote]lakai_guy wrote: This is one of the tightest albums ever! I mean, The songs are awsome, the cover is awsome! Everything is AWSOME! Inside the Fire and The Night are definatly the best songs on there.
    ibanez_artcore
    BLToast wrote: I'm a huge Disturbed fan and I gotta say, this is one of their best works yet. I like most of the songs off the album, which says a lot. The Night and Criminal are far more impressive than the singles they have been pushing. Draiman kept up the awesome voice and it's nice to hear some shredding from Donegan.
    Glad tp see i'mnot the only one that is addicted to those to two songs lol i can't stop listening to this album i think it kicks The Sickness by far
    as for this guy, well if you don't like this music why do you even bother looking up the reviews? i don't like country but you don't see me going around country CD reviews bashing them, its music, to each his own, check what you like, and if you don't like it, don't look it up or just let it be man, its music, what happened to just listening and keeping it cool Peace
    MrGuitar123
    I thought it was an impressive release from Disturbed. The revamped Perfect Insanity is absolutly sick when Draiman yells "Branded like an animal" I go crazy, I could knock out a few people to that chorus.
    Neverhead666
    I am NOT a big Disturbed fan, although I can say I own all their albums and have seen them live twice. But this album, this album is beyond amazing. Donegan does some very impressive guitar work. This album easily brushes their previous efforts aside.
    korn2601
    l)ragonForce wrote: Megadeth2011 wrote: I like it. Not that bad, but I got Shadows Fall- The War Within, and thought it was a little bit better. Shadows Fall is way better
    HELLYEAH EVERYTHING ABOUT THE WAR WITHIN IS BETTER !!
    MetropolisPt3
    steve_a7x wrote: i borrowed this off my mate, i listened to it a couple times its good, but nothing special to be honest, i baught opeth - watershed the same day and that is an amazing album, this one on the other hand didnt do much for me, just felt like another disturbed album nothing new.
    +1 Good album but then again...nothing new.
    ShrimpthePimp
    I love the drumming in "Enough". The solo's in "Inside the Fire" and "The Night" are pretty cool. Hm, I might just pick this up.
    thebigal
    I couldnt agree more with everyone else. It all sounds the same. I was such a huge fan of these guys when the sickness came out. I was raving on about them to everyone. But i must sadly admit i am bored with disturbed, it sounds all alike, the unique sound that made them is also there weakest link. I do however thinks Dan's guitaring has got better each album.
    flame843
    I used to be a big Disturbed fan back in middle school, and Believe and Ten Thousand Fists were pretty good albums, but lately I'm just really disappointed in their songwriting. All of these songs sound just like stuff Disturbed has done before... The guitar solos are all right, but nothing special, and David's vocals seem a lot worse than on Ten Thousand Fists to me.
    shenanigans
    Shredder Guitar
    shenanigans wrote: Shredder Guitar wrote: would you guys quit being such whiny bitches about how "generic" it is? honestly, shut up. i think the album is a major step forward for the band, awesome leadwork from Mr. Donegan. Ha....step forward....this album sounds like a bunch of outtakes and rejects from Ten Thousand Fists.
    maybe so... but if they were, they'd be good outtakes.
    JPetrucci25
    metalifan wrote: Probably get this album tommorrow I do love Disturbed! They always remind me of Judas Priest!
    how the hell can disturbed remind you of judas priest? singers sound nothing alike, and the music is way different haha. this album is good but 10,000 fist was better
    mhylands
    To tell the truth, Ten Thousand Fists was my least favorite album. I still liked it a lot, but I by far preferred Down With The Sickness, Believe, and now Indestructible. I'll agree that there seems to just be something missing in this album that keeps it from being a perfect 10, but it's still very amazing in my opinion. It was definitely a great purchase, worth the $20 for the CD/DVD release.
    a drummer
    shenanigans wrote: Spirit_Crusher wrote: more pseudo-metal for pissed off thirteen year olds. can't wait to not hear it. Couldn't have said it any better. This band and album are the very definition of "Generic".
    honestly i believe adults listen to their music much more, kids aren't really really their audience
    Tumble-weed
    My thoughts exactly! They haven't evolved much over their career and almost all their songs sound the same. And they say they're gonna be around for 3 decades...
    disturbedcalgar
    I will tussle your damned hair right now boy. If you don't like the music don't comment on it. I hate you yet you don't see me going to your blog or whatever gay thing you have and putting comments about how much i hate you on it.
    disturbedcalgar
    iksero wrote: this cd is amazing. If you didn't like it the first run, try it again. I was pleased the first listen, but after the second, I loved the album!
    I'm glad someone knows how to actually comment on this page.
    lucky2
    This album was by far their best one yet. Maybe not their most popular. If you read the interviews with dan donegan and the disturbed band, then you will realize just where those songs came from.
    ncbaseball
    I've been listening to the album non-stop since Tuesday, and every time I go through it, I love each song more and more. This cd was everything I was hoping for and more.
    Mega-Tallica
    I only heard the first 6 songs on the album, but I think this album is definitly better than 10,000 Fists which I didn't really like that much. The Night and Haunted are my 2 favorites, but I still think that The Sickness is Disturbed's best album.
    Shadow914
    you ppl have problems, Disturbed is the best, everything they've done is awesome, well some of you KNOW!!
    mosh_rocker2006
    I definitely disagree with the person's impression of the album on the feature review. Ten Thousand Fists was good, but in my opinion after listening to it consistenly for a good amount of time it really turned me off of that album.
    YouAreDirt
    It's hard to beat The Sickness, really. But this is pretty damn close, mainly because of the addition of so many solos. Dan can shred. Who knew? Hah. What I respect about them is that they kept their sound, but still made adjustments. Extremely catchy choruses (the first five tracks, especially). Could use a few more stand-out hits, but this is still a really good album.
    Shredder Guitar
    shenanigans
    ordinary_story
    its alrite...sum pretty rad solos on some of the songs...highlights for me are Perfect Insanity and The Night.
    The_Rising_Tide
    I would have to say,I do enjoy this album the more I listen to it. (Listening to it right now.) I must disagree with what everyone says about the lyrics though. They are a bit reminescient of what a teenager might wright in a diary, but do we all not feel like that at some point in time? It's definately a mood album, not one you could listen to all the time. But I really do enjoy it. And BTW to magero's review the Lyrical bit goes "... I'm an indestructible master of war..." Disturbed Rocks!!
    Megadeth2011
    tbarrettl
    For Disturbed this is a pleasant show of progression from where they started.
    CapnKickass
    I agree with Magero's review about Ten Thousound Fists being a bit better. Indestructible is good but it doesn't seem to have quite as much (I dunno how to describe) color to it, half the songs don't really grab my attention as much. Good solos though.
    ghettoj911
    Inside the Fire and Indestructible are great songs, but the rest is just medioker.
    no mercy
    This definitly kicks some major ass. Though I would like to see Disturbed move away from the "standard rock format" and work on deeper, more substantial lyrics, you have to give 'em props for creating one nasty but incredibly catchy cd. Good stuff : 9/10
    Kornholic
    This album really blew my mind. I mean I've been a Disturbed fan since the beginning but this was the best they've come with yet !
    Trynstopme
    LOL! i did the same thing. I bought this for my girlfriend and we listened to it together, and I had stashed Opeths "Watershed" (Special Edition) in my car. LOL. while leaving, i thought to myself, "im glad shes not an Opeth fan, cause i sure as hell wouldnt have switched!" 7/10 btw
    zackk
    this is a pretty good album although i don't really know why inside the fire is a single. i think it is the worst song on the cd. oh well,in whole it is a great album.
    Felony
    This is a great album, good solos throughout and just genuinely a step up, all the tracks are easy to listen to.