Ten Thousand Fists review by Disturbed

• Released: Sep 20, 2005
Disturbed: Ten Thousand Fists

Their first CD was heavy and poignant, their second got heavier and light at the same time, but also more meaningful, and now their third, their best, in my opinion, has what I've truly longed for in music: the perfect combination of emotion and aggression. Their songs are all different, lyrically, musically, sound-wise, everything. The thing is, you have to actually listen to them. If you sit there and say 'Gee, this sounds the same' then you're probably not listening very well, because I can see differences in everything, to me it's all new. A funny thing to note about sound is that in quite a few of their songs they have a background effect much like what is at the beginning of 10,000 Fists, except in other songs as well. It's probably easy for me to say how different each song sounds to me because I have learned quite a few of them to play on guitar, but that is your perogative.

Man, the lyrics David comes up with is pretty amazing to me. There is so much relevance, his wordplay (at the risk of sounding like a starry-eyed idolizer) is fantastic. 'Our conviction is stonger today as we fight to uncover your sacred lie!' And he sings that to sound like you think it should sound: strongly and with conviction! To be honest, I think he is possibly the best singer, talent-wise, I have ever heard in a band. All you have to do is listen to 10, 000 Fists, and you will see what I mean. After seeing them live, I can only strengthen my opinion when I say that D. Draiman is top notch.

Compared to hard rock, it kills (heavier, harder, faster), compared to metal, it is a break from the incessant screaming (actual singing that doesn't sound like a scream). Now, don't get me a wrong, I am a fan of heavy metal as well, but I can appreciate a singer like David (in fact, I like singing like his better than the screaming of heavy metal). My fav song: 10,100 Fists, for its original style, singing, and upbeat music. That is a song that can get you jumping to the music,. if even when you're at home with the stereo. Other favs would be: Sacred Lie, Sons Of Plunder, and Overburdened (which, by the way, has to be one of the most heartfelt songs I have ever heard; incredible job on that one). Stolen: I would commend the person who stole it on good taste in music, then beat the tar (for lack of a stronger word) out of them for taking my favorite music from me. Rock on, Disturbed!