The Lost Children review by Disturbed

• Released: Nov 8, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Disturbed: The Lost Children

It's a common assumption that everybody knows the Disturbed sound, but that's not really a fair assessment of the band. From the raw early days of "The Sickness", to the mature sound of albums like "Indestructible" and "Asylum", Disturbed didn't just develop a sound overnight: it was cultivated over a period of ten years. "Ten Thousand Fists", "Indestructible", and "Asylum", the band's last three albums, do show a consistency that has seen the band accused of churning out similar-sounding songs, but, overall, the band's catalogue, shows great variety. Hence, the band's decision to announce a hiatus after ten years is a good one, with the release of a b-sides album "The Lost Children" a far more dignified way to celebrate a decade of the band than the release of ten repackaged songs as a greatest hits compilation. The album isn't chronological, but that just emphasises the band's deceptive diversity: it's pretty easy to tell which album each song dates from. "Hell" and "A Welcome Burden" are an excellent two tracks to begin any album, and it's a shame that they didn't make the final cut of their respective sessions. It's a powerful way to begin the album, making sure to emphasise Disturbed's ferocity. "Hell" is particularly enjoyable, as Donegan showcases his ear for combining heavy metal and electronic music. Other highlights of the album include "Mine", which features a strong use of a piano's keys to introduce the song, while covers of songs like "Midlife Crisis" (Faith No More) and "Living After Midnight" (Judas Priest) tend to the diehard fan's desire to hear the band having fun, while also allowing a sneak peek at the music that inspires Disturbed.

Draiman is a terrific vocalist, and although I have taken exception to some of his lyrics on past efforts, the b-sides featured here are, in general, strong lyrically. The vocals feature the brute force and machismo that we all know Draimanto be capable of producing, but make no mistake: there is sensitivity to the lyrics. Draiman isn't one to sing about fairies and goblins, dragons and wizards: a Disturbed album is an insight into his mental realm. It's personal and, for that, Draiman deserves praise. It's hardly subtle at times, but the lyrics aren't of A-grade stupidity or the most typical type of adolescence. Take "Hell", a great song in terms of music, but lyrically lacklustre: "Soul of the night, when the sunmisled paint a horror upon you; marking the moment, displaying in my ghost of a life". That's not quite as bad as the chorus of the same song, which is this: "Now I can't stay behind; save me from wreaking my vengeance upon you; to killing more than I can tell, burning now I bring you Hell". Let's just say that lyrics such as these would struggle to make into a publication compiled by a secondary school's creative writing society.

Disturbed's decision to go on hiatus is a good one. Accused of leaving footnotes to themselves on their last album, Draiman, Donegan, Moyer, Wengren, and Kmak have made the right decision; they were perhaps running dry on ideas, and should they decide to release more material in the future it will perhaps offer more than an album written by the band without a hiatus. Knowing when to call time on a good thing is a great quality, and Disturbed should be applauded for releasing b-sides as opposed to a standard greatest hits album. It's been a Disturbed decade.

robertito696
    I've always enjoyed disturbed but Draiman uses the same vocal pattern for every freaking song. Just reading the lyrics I can figure out how they'll sound. He's got a good voice but jesus is he uncreative.
    Hail
    Amuro Jay
    slaveskinJACKET
    5hahv1r1 wrote: jetfuel495 wrote: Hail wrote: SGofawesome wrote: I guess I don't understand how the review praises Disturbed so much and, in turn, earns a 7. Even if there's nothing legitimately wrong with it, unless something "wow"s you, it really shouldn't automatically be a 9-10. That's why people bitch about straight 10 reviews so much. I mean, at the end of the day, it's still a Disturbed album, and a handful of B-sides, at that, so I'd honestly be shocked if it was rated higher. This so much. If an album isn't rated at least 8 on this site people automatically assume it's bad or that the reviewer doesn't like it. People seem to forget that 5 is directly in between 1 and 10, and thus means average. But if you were to say an album was average and give it a 5, some of the users here would flip out. Not really, 5 is almost a fail, not average. Average would be rounding out all reviews, in which case, I think a 7 is an average rating. Disturbed is a band that lacks creativity with mediocre musicianship and with a very unique sounding vocalist that can somehow make it work as a band. I know they are probably scared of how fans might react if they progressed their sound, but they'd maybe pick up new fans if they did so.
    I don't know what kind of albums you hear, but the 'average' album I hear released is not good. However, regardless of how you feel about it, out of the numbers 1-10, 5 is in the middle. 5 is the average. Anything above 5 is above average. Anything below 5 is below average. People on this site seem to think that, if you like something, even just a little, it deserves a 9-10. Those kinds of ratings should be reserved for perfect and near-perfect albums. Just because you like something doesn't make it perfect, and a biased when analyzing material is anything but professional. If 7 is average, in your eyes, that only leaves an 8 for above average, 9 for near-perfect, and 10 for flawless; yet it leaves a scale twice that size on which to grade a poor album. My point is, if you go throwing around 9s and 10s everywhere, calling every album perfect, it tends to lose its meaning. The rating system becomes irrelevant. Have you ever heard the story of The Little Boy Who Cried Wolf? It's kind of like that. P.S. 1 - bad 2 - ... 3 - below average 4 - ... 5 - average 6 - fair 7 - good 8 - very good 9 - excellent/near perfect 10 - perfect
    mysticguitar77
    RUSTDOGG666 wrote: I thought they was going on a hiatus but then they release another album. Disturbed needs to make up their mind on what they want to do.
    It's a b-sides album, in other words a compilation album. It doesn't count as a new studio album since most of these songs fans already knew about and heard. They probably wanted to get this out there before their hiatus so this album makes perfect sense to come out now.
    slaveskinJACKET
    I thought, by the way he spoke of it, 7 was fair, if even a little high.
    dsteff
    disturbed needs a second guitarist to stray away from the same riffs which are all in the same key in every song. Then with that new back up guitarist they need to incorporate a second singer cuz the vocals r gettin to be like dragonforces....always the same tones...u expect whats coming...and the lyrics dont change much from song to song
    EpiExplorer
    EpiExplorer
    CapnKickass
    mysticguitar77
    Good songs: Hell, A Welcome Burden, Run, Midlife Crisis (which is an exceptional cover except they failed to put their own spin on it), and Dehumanized. Everything else, meh, that's why they're b-sides. I think more bands should definitely do this though, especially bands with long careers and with a lot of bonus material that not everyone has heard (*cough* Sevendust *cough*).
    SGofawesome
    jd600
    Just one question. What the f**k is an awesometopus?
    5hahv1r1
    Raining Kasch
    The reviewer should've checked his facts. Kmak hasn't been involved with the band since the Believe album.
    TheBisness87
    jd600 wrote: CapnKickass wrote: slaveskinJACKET wrote: This is how I feel most others think of the rating system: 1-shit 2-shit 3-shit 4-shit 5-shit 6-shit 7 -not bad (but still shit) 8-awesome 9-more awesome 10-I like two songs 1- They were just joking right? Right!? 2- Ahh, musical abomination! 3- Pretty weak and/or terrible 4- Not really worth bothering with 5- Meh 6- Kinda decent, had potential 7- Worth listening, could very well kick some ass 8- Sweeet 9- Yeah, behold the awesometopus! 10- Just so damn good, a classic I tell you. Just one question. What the f**k is an awesometopus?
    Im guessing its the mythical octopus made purely of awesome?
    StillSublime
    5hahv1r1 wrote: Not really, 5 is almost a fail, not average. Average would be rounding out all reviews, in which case, I think a 7 is an average rating. Disturbed is a band that lacks creativity with mediocre musicianship and with a very unique sounding vocalist that can somehow make it work as a band. I know they are probably scared of how fans might react if they progressed their sound, but they'd maybe pick up new fans if they did so.
    If you average all the ratings for stuff on UG, you get 9.5.
    MrVaentine73
    Sick of hearing the same old Formula... The best song here is MIDLIFE CRISIS and the song kinda dies towards the end....
    vppark2
    BlueFuzion101 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Its like that 'Decas' thing, really pointless compilation of random material that only the collecters would want. Also, its Disturbed, so there. At least Decas has good songs on it.
    i totally second tht
    vppark2
    Jon777 wrote: Did Decas already come out? Anyway, already listened to most of these songs ages ago. Good stuff.
    yes. same day as this. its not all very good tho.
    vppark2
    ok ima giv the my 2 cents to the ppl who say it wasnt very good or they hated it...look at how high u rated this album, and then think again.
    vppark2
    mysticguitar77 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: vppark2 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Its like that 'Decas' thing, really pointless compilation of random material that only the collecters would want. Also, its Disturbed, so there. i would really like to kno wat type of music u like Mr. I comment on every review on ultimate-guitar If you have the time and patience, I'll send you a message, if not, just look at my favourite bands list. c: Needs more Death. Unless I skimmed over it by accident. You have Cynic on there so that makes up for it.
    i havent heard of like any of those bands hahahaha, but only 1s i rly kno r in flames, at the gates, and devildriver, all of wich r badass, but i was jw, bc every single comment iv noticed from u, u hate on the band
    jesusofpaign
    I actually dug it. Very diverse, and it spans their entire career. a great way to cap off a career or very gradual change. I, too, have always said they need a second guitarist so Donegan could do more than just rhythm riffs. And They need backup vocals.
    Jon777
    BlueFuzion101
    At least Decas has good songs on it.
    RUSTDOGG666