The Sickness review by Disturbed

• Released: Mar 7, 2000
Disturbed: The Sickness

The soudn is heavy, plenty of guitars, and David Draimen seems like he has a lot of pent up rage inside. These are all good things. Anyways, I first heard them a few years ago, unknown as to who it was. I watched an anime movie a friend loaned me, and I heard Stupify for the first time. I would watch the same part over and over just to listen to the minute or so of the song. Over the phone with a friend, I heard it on his cd player and asked who it was, and to my surprise, it was a band I had not yet heard of; Disturbed. 15 minutes after, I drove up to the store and bought it. Listened to it, and have been listening to it now for almost 3 years. The singing though is very monotone and follows the same screaming as most bands.

The lyrics are basically about everything and anything that has to do with anger and rage. The lyrics go perfectly with the music, as the music is loud, and draimen's singing is also loud, and heavy, which is a good thing in this case. His skills as a singer are good, especially when you listen to their second cd, Believe.

Comparison wise, it's what you've come to expect from a nu-metal band. There isn't a whole lot of difference in the style, but this is one of the few bands who's lyrics actually fit well with each piece that they make. Best tracks hands down, are stupify, voices, game, and fear. This is the only cd other than RHCP Blood Sugar Sex Magik that I can listen to for more than a year or so. This cd is also the first where I like every song on the whole album, and is the only cd where I never skip tracks on. This cd I would get again if it was stolen, and is currently the only cd where I actually have a backup copy if it were lost, stolen, or broken. Overall its a great cd. The singing needs to be fixed, which it was overly changed in their second cd, so I still would rate this as the higher of the two.