The Sickness review by Disturbed

• Released: Mar 7, 2000
Disturbed: The Sickness

The band's sound is nearly flawless. The angst and agression is perfectly mixed with the emotion. As the Windy CD based nu-metal band's debut album, this album is different from the following two, "Believe" and "Ten Thousand Fists" (yes, I called them "nu-metal", which doesn't have to be a bad thing). Like other nu-metal bands, over time, Disturbed let go of some of their aggresion and profanity-loaded lyrics and focused more on melody, emotion, and musical maturity. Granted, this is not a bad thing, but when I listen to a band called "Disturbed," I'm expecting to hear something disturbing. This album is just that, but in a very, very good way.

Jewish born vocalist David Draiman's lyrics, which can be described as vulgar, dark, malicious, rebellious, and controversial (sometimes even borderlining "sexist"), fill the album from start to finish, and are complemented perfectly by the band's industrial influenced electronics and in-your-face guitar riffs. Draiman's powerful, sinister growling voice is damn near perfect.

There are very few albums where I can honestly say I not only like every song, but I can listen to them over and over without getting tired of them. This is one of those albums. If lost or stolen, I would buy it again right away. I would recommend it for fans of Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Godsmack, and Linkin Park.

dark_falco3000
    you call youselves disturbed fans? all you who said that believe was released before the sickness should just die or something. First was The Sickness, then Believe, then ten thousand fists. Dammit people this is basic knowledge here!