The Sickness review by Disturbed

• Released: Mar 7, 2000
Disturbed: The Sickness

The sound of a teenager's hate never hit so hard, so quickly. Disturbed debuted with a bang. The Sickness is one of those records where the songs grab you and don't let go until the message has been drilled into your brain. From heavy and crunchy guitars and thumping bass to electronic beats and sound and vocal effects, this album's sound is original yet familiar.

David Draiman's lyrics express exactly what anger, hate and frustration should sound like. His lyrics seem to always tell a story of someone on the borderline of psychosis. Lyrically speaking, the songs that seem to stick in your head are those of "Down With The Sickness", "Stupify", "Voices", "The Game" and "Violence Fetish". The guitar always compliments Draiman's vocals in presenting the hate that fills this album. His vocals range everywhere from singing to shouting/screaming and his trademark bark. The most angry vocal for Disturbed may lie in the track "Conflict". Near the end, Draiman sings, in an eerie voice, the word "Enemy" and then all of a sudden he shouts "Enemy!" followed by a voice track echoing him which gives the listener the feeling that they might be being stalked.

Comparing to a lot of debut albums from this period, The Sickness sticks out from most of the pack due to it's originality and catchy songs. As a music and Disturbed fan, my favorites would be "Stupify", "Voices", "Conflict", "Meaning Of Life" and "The Game". If there is anything to dislike about it, I would have to say that it would be that the songs really bring you in and seem to end just when you are in full-out jam mode. I already have had this album stolen from me and I must go out and buy it again and again.

disturbedcalgar
    gothicneo wrote: Disturbed are just unique! Without draiman they would be nothing! Shame we lost fuzz :/ How come nobody mentioned "down with the sickness" as one of their favourites? When disturbed go off to that big rock concert in the sky they will not be rememebered for "the game" or "meaning of life" but the legendary "down with the sikness"
    maybe because Down with the Sickness isn't very good compared to the other songs. Most people only like it because of the "O Wa a a a!" in the beginning anyways and it only ever makes me mad that people think it's the best damn thing when its not as great as the rest of the songs.
    Solskinn8
    This album never really flowed with me. Some of it just sounds like noise and "un-togetherness". Stupify I would say would have to be the best out of them all.
    guitarfreak222
    Anarion614 wrote: why are they showing reviews of CDs from 6 years ago...
    haha 8 and almost 9 years now..