Bleed The Fifth review by Divine Heresy

• Released: Aug 28, 2007
Divine Heresy: Bleed The Fifth

I am a huge fan of technical metal. Stuff like Nile and All Shall Perish have always been close to my heart and Fear Factory, is one of my favorite bands ever. So when I saw Dino Cazares' band, "Divine Heresy" It sparked an interest. A big one. I was somewhat hesitant, knowing how bands who split up and have some lineup troubles kind of end up in the toilet. But not in this case. I think this is grade A music, without question. The two bands kind of fused. And they list themselves as melodic death metal, which suits them somewhat well, but they kind of create a whole new genre of melodic technical death metal. I felt that this album was one of the best albums I had heard in a long time. The skill which is employed is magnificent and I don't think you could ask for more with it. You get your clean, melodic singing which, by the way, is immaculate, you get harsh and powerful screaming, then there's the crushing drumbeats and the crazy guitar playing. Tommy Vext has himself a voice to be reckoned with, after being taught by the awesome vocal coach Angela Cross. The guitar work is some of Dino's best to date, with some extremely fast and articulate solos and heavy, chugging riffs that make your ears melt. The drumming is another highlight that cannot be overlooked. There is such a level of skill and intensity equated with Tim Yeung that you feel as if a battle has begun raging in your house. The double bass is ungodly. The song set up is also very good. Certain songs like Failed Creation, Impossible Is Nothing, Soul Decoded and Royal Blood Heresy are songs which make this album a landmark release. And it's not like some albums where the songs begin to meld into one long, droning song. Each sone is ordained with it's own message, it's own rhythm and emotional theme which makes each song a new adventure. I would seriously recommend it.

The lyrics are at times, philosophical, and at other times, insanely emotional and wroght with anger and passion, something that artists of recent are beginning to fall away from. As far as the vocal skills go, they are equally satisfying to the ears. Tommy has mastered his voice completely and utilizes it well. His mid to high range clean singing is really good as well as the gutteral roar that he releases.

When you put it up against Fear Factory, you can definitely hear some influence and similarities, no doubt. But you also see a side of music that is rarely shown. Where the mainstream is simply pissed in. They care not for fame as far as I know. I see a true passion for metal and an outlet that is shooting out amazing music, leaving nothing left to obliterate.

Rizzo228
    i love dinos shredding in bleed the fifth..main reason i learned the song
    Rocker396
    666_Pounder wrote: Tim Yeung (sp?) is incredible his drumming is the main reason i listen to this album.
    He's awesome on double bass but he doesnt do much on the rest of the set though.
    themightymitch
    shredderjamie25 wrote: he's called tommy vext by the way , not tommy cummings. this album rock, tim yeung is the only reason i listen to this, he is an absolute machine. failed creation has to be one of the hardest songs to play on drums - his fore arms from all that blasting must cane.
    nah, he is called tommy cummings, but he goes by the name vext, dont question why, hes just too big to argue with