Allegory Review

Divinity: Allegory
Release Date: Mar 25, 2008
Label: Nuclear Blast
Genres: Thrash, Heavy Metal, Hard Rock
Mixed and mastered by the pristine touch of Tue Madsen, Divinity delivers one of the sure-to-be best debut albums this year.
 9.3
 8.6
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Allegory Reviewed by: SeventhSkull, on april 05, 2008

Sound: This is Divinity's first studio album, produced through Nuclear Blast Records. Sure to please fans of Into Eternity, Strapping Young Lad, and Soilwork, this band from Alberta, Canada is one of the newest bands to hit the heavy metal scene. Mixed and mastered by the pristine touch of Tue Madsen (The Haunted, Dark Tranquillity, Aborted), Divinity delivers one of the sure-to-be best debut albums this year. With a heavy assault in the first three tracks, the album shows the great diversity of Divinity, as they slow things down just a tad for other songs and even utilize a piano for the intro of one. Sean Jenkins shows us his crazy range of growls, high-pitched screams, melodic clean vocals and thought provoking lyrics as James Duncan and Sasha Laskow deliver incredible guitar riffs and solos, all while the solid foundation of Nick Foster (bass) and the very technical and agile Brett Duncan (drums). // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically tackling the themes of substance abuse, the turmoil of relationships, survival in the midst of adversity, the chaos of existence and humanity's battle against technology, Sean Jenkins dives into a lyrical world and stretches his vocal capabilities to give the audience a spectacle of just how skilled he really is. The lyrics fit very well over the punishing guitar riffs and rhythm section by the rest of the band. // 10

Overall Impression: I couldn't say that I hate anything about this album, I have personally met and played alongside Divinity, and they are some of the sweetest guys I've ever met. The skilled and precise instrument skills of this still are a shock that can be listened to over and over again, while Sean Jenkins vocals are definately something to be rivaled for other bands just arriving on the scene, and some bands that have been on it for many years. If you have never heard Divinity, you can get a taste of the songs on the album by going to their myspace. A few of my personal favourite songs off the album are Induce, Power Control and Plasma. If someone stole it or I misplaced it, I would most likely go and buy it again, to support Divinity as well as to have another copy of it, because it is definately a start in the right direction to the beginning of Divinity. // 10

Comments