Yes! review by Do Me Bad Things

• Released: Apr 11, 2005
  • Users' score: 1 (1 vote)
Do Me Bad Things: Yes!

I think this bands sound is fantastic. Their musical style varys from genre to genre making them impossible to label. Some of the styles on this album features rock/pop/soul/metal/blues, thats how varied this album is. It so varied that at least one song would appeal to the smallest of minded music fans (NME). This band of nine people in total could have got their inspiration from anywhere, but the last description I heard was 'A Bizarre collision between The Commitments and IronMaiden, jamming in a fancy dress shop'.

The lyrics most of the time are a bit random but the song 'The Song Rides' is about the music industry taking control. The band have up to 7 singers but three of them the main singers. Each singer matches the musical style perfectly, such as chanatal brown singing all the more 'pop' songs Mark Woods singing all the heavier stuff and Nickoli prowse singing the ones that are sort of in between the heavy and the 'pop'. Sometimes the main singers can share the song like the song 'The Daily Grind' where Mark starts of with his growly voice with an amazing guitar riff and then it dies down and nickoli starts to sing.

Does it compare to other albums? No-way, you probably wont find another album out as individual as this one until the second Do Me Bad Things album comes out. Songs I thought were most impressive are 'Off The hook', 'The Daily Grind', 'The Song rides', and amazing album opener 'Time For Deliverence.' I love the fact that this album is so different to other things, it is a breath of fresh air hearing this it gives me a break from all the 'alternitive' indie bands at the moment. There is some amazing riffs and solos in this album that no guitar player should overlook. Buy this album if you are wanting something new and just utterly class. The thing that I hate is that there only is 10 songs but there is a speacial edition CD that has four exta songs on it. If this album was stolen Id buy three more copies (the other two in reserve for back up just in case the other one got lost).

thundermelon
    This Croydon nontet were once explosive. Unfortunately, there is now little hope for a sophomore effort from its recently separated members. I heard the news no more than a week after I started listening to them, and am regrettably forever deprived of the opportunity to see their live performance. However, judging by the sonic grandeur of the group, I can sleep at night safe in the knowledge that it would have been comparable to a profound religious experience. The music is not just good, it is immense. Every intelligent person that starts a band spends at least a moment thinking about originality - perhaps the guitarist could learn some folk music, the drummer could hammer out some d'n'b kicks and the singer could emulate a Cradle of Filth roar, all the while backed by a Japanese xylophonist. However, it is rare that any such fusion ever occurs, and when it does the music usually suffers and the band are condemned to the "Experimental" shelves of music stores, and the dustbins of disgruntled buyers. With "Do Me Bad Things", this is not so. From the sublime stomp of "Time for Deliverance", the album's offbeat ignition, right through to its conclusion, the album "Yes!" is graced by priceless musical gems. The almost-dissonant beauty of "Burn Some Money" with it's psychadelic guitar opening, and the synthesiser-driven late night groove of "Liv Ullman on Drums" are just a couple of the album's unmissable tracks, which are far too many to list and account for around 95% of the cd's songs. As this is a guitar website I will add that the fretwork is at times nothing short of incendiary, and at other times can only be described as irresistably funky. Despite the epic melting pot of instruments and styles, there is plenty of room for blistering licks delivered with soul. Good stuff indeed.