Love Is Gone review by Dommin

• Released: May 12, 2009
Dommin: Love Is Gone

While HIM's Vile Valo is currently MIA, the vacancy that he and his band have left in the neo-goth scene while they're busy doing whatever it is they are doing is certainly semi-fillable by a band like Dommin. No, Dommin aren't anywhere close to the stature that HIM have achieved over the years, but give these newbies some time and they are bound to make their mark. Dommin could veritably get "there" with Love is Gone, their head-down, glass-is-half-empty, "It can rain all the time" debut, which is stacked with moody keyboard melodies and surprisingly poppy song structures. If Type O Negative shacked up with Life of Agony's Keith Caputo and went on the prowl with Danzig one night and Depeche Mode the next, the ensuing result would sound a lot like Dommin and the gothically romantic, dark hard rock opus that is Love is Gone. If you like to wear all black, floor-skimming trench coats, red velvet even in summer!and like your hard rock to be nocturnal and adorned with bells, keys and razor-sharp riffery, then Dommin will soon blare from your iPod and quotes from the band's music will serve as your MySpace headlines, Facebook updates or Twitter tweets. It's certainly the type of music that attracts those who like to bark at the moon, with it's layered, textured, guitar-driven sound. Even amidst all this moodiness, there's an impressive knack for pop melodicism, too.

Kristofer Dommin's voice belies his years. He has a deep, throaty roar that's more common to a seasoned veteran. It's almost difficult to believe that this is his band's debut. His voice will undoubtedly summon memories of Life of Agony's Keith Caputo in his formative years, circa River Runs Red on "My Heart, Your Hands." But that's only one song and the devil-locked Dommin has a wider ranger that is displayed on the new wave'ish "Tonight" or the quirky "Dark Holiday" and the title track. He can soar high and swing low and his voice truly functions as one of the album's most impressive hallmarks. Perhaps that's why the band bears his namesake? The lyrics also explore topics like fractured relationships, love being a living hell, celebrating dark holidays and other damage that's inflicted on our fragile aortas. If anything, Kristofer Dommin is doing his best to be the voice of the brokenhearted. It's a topic that never goes cold in aggressive rock music and Dommin add their own heat to it.

Love is Gone could go hand-in-hand with New Moon, the next film in the Twilight franchise, as the band's aesthetic appeals to the same set that worships dutifully at that book and movie series' altar! In keeping with theatrical references, there's certainly a The Crow-like darkness to Dommin, but it's more inviting and welcoming than it is dangerous and distant. Love is Gone is a mere glimpse into Kristofer Dommin's ticker and we suspect that on subsequent albums, he'll provide even more details about his life and loves set to gloomily pretty music.

steve.bond7
    Love Metal pal - not Goth
    thanatos7th
    I love this band. I saw them live when they played before Wednesday 13. They're amazing live. Ive been waiting since February for this album to come out. I am also a big HIM fan and when i heard them I immediately made a connection. I was very satisfied with this album. However I am still a bit disappointed that this band still hasn't been tabbed or a thorough list of lyrics been made.
    roninwandering
    I got a chance to catch these guys in concert as well, and I recommend going if you get the chance.
    sepiasiren
    I just love it when I meet folks who think they have the ultimate, end all be all definition of Goth. Whilst I do not CLAIM to know the end all be all definition myself I can tell yah what it ain't. It isn't a bunch of kids draped in velvet with black nails quoting Edgar Allen Poe while sitting in a graveyard. Those beings would be the equivalent of what Wiccans call "play witches" in other words "posers"... I recall teen age years where I felt a bit alone--I didn't even know what a Goth was but I was an outcast as most kids thought I was a devil worshiper because I was inclined to dress in black and keep to myself. I drew the attention of a guy who took me to a place in GA called Little 5 Points--there I met others of my ilk and was elated (I'd truly felt I was alone in my likes and choices in dress). I was happy to have found others who emoted like me and expressed musings on the dark, less explored side of human nature. My happiness was short lived however as I soon found that these so called non conformist were simply trying to create another velvet roped "private club" where those who didn't fit in would be banished. Whenever I hear someone claim to know what is or is not goth, I get that same feelings of an individual trying to be all high and mighty above it all and pretentious. Newsflash--just because a band dresses in black and espouses moody lyrics DOES NOT make them goth. HIM is NOT Goth--if you don't like them personally cause you do not like their style fine but to not like them for "failing to be goth" reveals you for the poser you are. And moto_psycho--really? Wow and they say chicks can be catty and superficial. How hypocritical of you--while claiming that you yourself once had a hateful hairstyle you decide to not like a band solely based on psychical aesthetics--this also shouts of poser. People who have a genuine dislike for something can usually drum up a legitimate reason--you may as well be a bitchy cheerleader sitting a corner talking about why you dislike "Rachel's cheesy haircut soooo much..." I do not paint my nails black any more or carry around the Necronomicon to prove my GOTHNESS but I can look at the dark underside of life without flinching and respect the darkness for what it is--a bringer of balance. If one can do that who cares about the outter?
    moto_psycho
    Lohnanmilitia
    to be mentioned in the same sentence with HIM automatically makes them gay, although i will listen to it once before that comment is set in stone. good review though, i feel like i already know what im in for
    Drool_Mouse
    I saw them live almost a year ago, opening for The Birthday Massacre. One of the best opening bands I've seen. Or the one I enjoyed the most. Should have invested in the album when they were selling it there, so I wouldn't have had to wait so long.
    thanatos7th
    moto_psycho wrote: ive had a listen now, and got halfway through the video before laughing my ass off. seriously though, the fringe.... any band sporting this style is guaranteed to suck, i mean seriously, what is more annoying than a flap of hair in your face all day every day, thats the reason i cut my past tit length hair off
    lolz yeah im not a fan of his hair though XD
    LarksTongue67
    The hair bugs the shit out of me.
    Solty Dog
    When I saw the four bands in the review, I thought two bands I love and two I loathe. Well curiosity got the best of me and I gave it a listen. I think it is outstanding. Good music just to sit around and listen to. Definitely not driving or party music, but that's what I have Megadeth for.
    MCRkid22
    I wasn't sure what to think from the article, but I checked them out I'm pleasantly surprised. They sort of have a simple feel about them, so it's not like they're a good band to be your "favorite band" but they certainly are interesting. The guys voice is crazy good, for those interested, check out their song "The Scene". And Danzig smiled, and saw that it was good.
    vanman118
    IF they sound like HIM than they cant be to bad, unless there just so emo i cant take it.
    -Kurt-
    They are trying to go for a goth type thing though... Love Metal? I'm wise to their tricks!
    Since they were sick of critics and moronic people asking them what they're genre is, they stated and created "Love Metal" They are not just "Goth" (which i dont think they are not.) they are called many other things. Research.... Anyways, these guys may be worth looking into...for now.
    MaGgOt_13
    steve.bond7 wrote: MaGgOt_13 wrote: I might check these guys out, but they will probably just be another band of people who fail at goth (just like HIM). Love Metal pal - not Goth
    MaGgOt_13
    Stone Agean
    Nice fringe...did it come with a man-bag? I like Danzig and Depeche Mode, might check these guys out. Nice review.
    Amadeus_Wolves
    I listened to these guys a bit when they were promoting the album, and I'll admit their tone is just damn incredible. Well done on the review: well written and informative.
    cablecar
    yet another dime a dozen poser metal bands with bland, unoriginal lyrics and crappy hair. my heart, your hands was the only decent sounding song until i watched the music video then it sucked.