Resound The Horn Review

Genre: Doom metal / Viking metal
Label: Dragonheart Records
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Resound The Horn Reviewed by: krvolok, on july 20, 2010

Sound: It is on this album that Doomsword forged their unique and powerful sound a mix of epic doom metal and viking metal. Many viking metal bands have vast orchestral arrangements with choirs, horns and acoustics, Doomsword have a much simpler but just as epic sound. They also retain the features of doom metal, over all the album is slow paced and there are a couple of nice doom riffs. 01. "Shores Of Vinland": no song better represents the sound of Doomsword and Resound the Horn than this song, the lyrics concern the Viking settlers and their journey to Vinland-America . 02. "Onward Into Battle": is a more energetic song with a lively rhythm, certainly not the best song on the album. 03. "The Doomsword": this is a much heavier song, it's edging toward the doom element significantly more than the others. 04. "MCXIX": I love the double time feel on the main riff and the eastern style solo. 05. "For Those Who Died With Sword In Hand": well the title says it all, it's a simple song with catchy lyrics, nothing special. 06. "The Youth of Finn MacCool": is a good song though the lyrics are a bit of a let down, they more or less recant the old irish legend which is ok but they lack a lot of the passion of the other songs. 07. "Resound the Horn: Odin's Hail": my favorite, it, like "The Doomsword" is a heavy song and a bit more doom. Resound the Horn is not Doomsword's best work, more or less all riffs are made of a pedal note and hooks but then again almost all Doomsword riffs are in that fashion, the ones on Resound the Horn are just as good the ones on Let Battle Commence and My Name Will Live One and the solos are not as developed as the ones on the later albums. // 9

Lyrics: I have to say that I did not like the vocals the the first album, they were just to like Hansi Krsch's and they did not suit the music that well. The vocals on Resound the Horn are a lot better, deeper, stronger, there are a couple of sections with high pitched vocals and they sound so tacked on. If you are not interested in mythology, history and etc, then you wont pick up the various references in the lyrics. The lyrics are generally written well and they give a feel that there is a little story behind each. // 9

Overall Impression: If you skip the tacked on high pitched vocals and the one-sided riffs Resound the Horn is an excellent album and I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a good viking/epic doom album. I love all the songs but "The Doomsword", "MCXIX" and "Resound the Horn: Odin's Hail" stand out. // 9

Comments