American Apathy review by Dope

• Released: Jul 26, 2005
Dope: American Apathy

The sound dope went for on this album, was loud, heavy, and mosh; And they did it well. Having said that, their music on this album is everywhere. There's fast and heavy, theres average and heavy, theres slow and heavy, and theres even some rap metal on there to. What Dope did with this album, was genious, and much apart from the rest of their music. It seems to be a little bit of each album, pushed together. If you were to go see Dope live, and you heard them play the stuff on this music, no one would be standing still.

Edsel, lead singer, has everything when it comes to lyrics here. He has emotion, he has the scream, he has tone, he has melody, rythem and a wide variety of volumes aswell as sounds. The lyrics fit with the songs, and he obviously is not rambling on about nothing. Everything song was clearly influenced by something. He puts the emotion, everywhere from hatred, to love, and everything inbetween.

This album, is very unique. They are an industrial metal/nu-metal genre, but do it better than any band I have seen. They clearly show off their skills, and creativity, and being Dope's forth official album, they show that they are not done yet. All their albums sound different, and all their songs sound differnt, unlike many bands who try this, Dope did it well. If you hear one Dope song, and don't like it, do not stop there. They have such a wide variety, you would need to hear it all. The only thing I do not like on this album is the song "I Wish I Was The President" because it is mostly a rap metal song, but it still shows impressive skill, just isn't my style. In my opinion, Dream, I'm Back, No Way Out, and Always are the best songs on the album. If this album were stolen, or lost, I would definitly go buy another one, and if I found out who stole it, I would take it back and make them go buy one to.

mtrev009
    I like most songs. On the other hand alittle disappointed with the techno feel. Why do bands do that? Replace a real, hard earned beat with computerized bullshit that any average joe could make up in 30 minutes. Best song would have to be always. Although it doesnt top With or Without You.