American Apathy Review

Dope: American Apathy
Released: Jul 26, 2005
Label: Artemis
Genre: Rock
Styles: Industrial, Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal, Rap-Metal, Speed Metal, Industrial Metal
Even if Edsel's revolution happened, it would likely be as bleak and vapid as American Apathy.
 9.4
 8.8
reviews (3) 1 comment vote for this album:
American Apathy Reviewed by: raccishayisgod, on august 01, 2005

Sound: Wow! All I have to say is this is probably the best Dope album I've heard. When I got the disc, I thought it would be like their previous album, Group Therapy, but I was blown away. With American Apathy, Dope show their dislike for president Bush, because they use sound clips of his voice, saying stuff like "The american flag stands for rape, etc." In my Opinion, the best songs on this album are "I'm Back," "No Way Out," "Always," "F--k Tha' Police 2005" and many more. It is way heavier than their previous albums. Although, for some of the songs, you can tell they used a kind of techno type feel, with the drums that is. Edsels voice is amazing on this album, and Virus comes out with heavier riffs than before. All in all, I love how it sounds, and I suggest picking this album up. // 10

Lyrics: Edsels voice just totally rocks in this album. And the lyrics go perfect with the album name, American Apathy. In most of the songs, they show their dislike for the idiot running this country. Sound clips of Bush's voice are used for some songs, saying stuff like "The american flag stands for rape, distrust, etc." and I think it sounds perfect with the album. They went back, and redid their classic cover of "F--k Tha' Police" and it is by far better than the old version. The lyrics seem more angry on this album. But I love the lyrics, puts me in the zone! // 10

Overall Impression: The best Dope album ever! The best song on this album has got to be "Always." I cannot stop listening to this album, its always in my cd player. The only bad part about this CD is... There is nothing bad! I know a lot of people dont like Dope, but at least give this album a try, especially if you disagree with that idiot running this country. And if it were to be stolen, I would cry, and run out to buy another copy, it's that good! // 10

American Apathy Reviewed by: jeshawk, on august 04, 2005

Sound: Need something loud and hard to bang your head to? Well, here's the album for you! The guitar (performed by Virus) component of this album is mind-boggling. From the first track to the very last of American Apathy, every guitar riff is played with heart and soul. The guitar solos are also extraordinary (check out 'Survive' for example) and quite technical. The guitar of each verse is played in such a sense that it gives the whole album a heavier sound. For guitar players looking for something challenging and fun to tab, here's one for you. The bass (performed by Brix, former guitarist of Skrape), as always, is quite full sounding. Overall, the bass supports the rest of the band quite well. Like the rest of the other Dope albums, the drumming (performed by Racci) is defiantly impressive. Fast beats, complex beats, you've got it all in this album. The addition of soundclips from Mr. President George Dubya Bush makes this album quite political (for all you political music lovers, here's another one for you). Most of all, the clips actually fit in quite well with the music. Overall, the sound is amazing, like all the other previous Dope albums. If you thought Group Therapy was too 'light' for you, check this one out, you won't regret it. // 10

Lyrics: Edsel Dope is one of the more talented singers, and he is back, with American Apathy. In this album, his vocals are stronger, and harder than the last album, Group Therapy (though it was a very good album itself). The contrast between 'softer sounds' such as in 'Always', and 'People Are People', and the 'harder sounds' of 'Bastard' and 'No Way Out' is truly impressive. The lyrics work very well overall. They are easy to understand, at the same time, very meaningful. Certain lyrics are very politically driven such as "I Wish I Was President", and "I'm Back" to name just two. Overall, the lyrics, like the previous Dope albums, is remarkable. // 10

Overall Impression: Dope has come a long way since they first started. They have been through the leavings of quite a number of band members but they are still strong and touring and with numerous adoring fans. Dope can not be compared to other artist because they are unique, and different from anything else you hear when you turn on the radio. Basically, as mentioned earlier, the guitar solos and riffs are very impressive. There is nothing to dislike about this particular album! If you are looking for something melodic to sing along to, you have "Always" and "People Are People." If you are looking for fast-beated, head banging songs, you've got "Bastard." If you are looking for something heavy, you've got "No Way Out," "Survive," and "Revolution." This album is the whole package. Try it out, you might find yourself a new band to love. George Bush defiantly needs to pick up this album and hear what some people think about him! Lastly, if this album ever gets wrongfully taken away from me, I will first buy a new copy, and then chase after the person who stole it. Enjoy, American Apathy, a newer, better, Dope experience. // 10

American Apathy Reviewed by: dopearmy, on march 01, 2006

Sound: The sound dope went for on this album, was loud, heavy, and mosh; And they did it well. Having said that, their music on this album is everywhere. There's fast and heavy, theres average and heavy, theres slow and heavy, and theres even some rap metal on there to. What Dope did with this album, was genious, and much apart from the rest of their music. It seems to be a little bit of each album, pushed together. If you were to go see Dope live, and you heard them play the stuff on this music, no one would be standing still. // 10

Lyrics: Edsel, lead singer, has everything when it comes to lyrics here. He has emotion, he has the scream, he has tone, he has melody, rythem and a wide variety of volumes aswell as sounds. The lyrics fit with the songs, and he obviously is not rambling on about nothing. Everything song was clearly influenced by something. He puts the emotion, everywhere from hatred, to love, and everything inbetween. // 10

Overall Impression: This album, is very unique. They are an industrial metal/nu-metal genre, but do it better than any band I have seen. They clearly show off their skills, and creativity, and being Dope's forth official album, they show that they are not done yet. All their albums sound different, and all their songs sound differnt, unlike many bands who try this, Dope did it well. If you hear one Dope song, and don't like it, do not stop there. They have such a wide variety, you would need to hear it all. The only thing I do not like on this album is the song "I Wish I Was The President" because it is mostly a rap metal song, but it still shows impressive skill, just isn't my style. In my opinion, Dream, I'm Back, No Way Out, and Always are the best songs on the album. If this album were stolen, or lost, I would definitly go buy another one, and if I found out who stole it, I would take it back and make them go buy one to. // 10

Comments