No Regrets review by Dope

• Released: Mar 10, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Dope: No Regrets

Crunchy. Loud. Noisy. Those are the hallmarks of No Regrets. Dope always dosed their aggro with industrial, machine-like flourishes, which helped them to attract a broad cross section of fans that also love Marilyn Manson. No Regrets is a combination of metal and melody, crunch and charisma, which radiates from frontman Edsel Dope. This is probably the band's most musically sound record of their career proving that they are anything but hacks. Dope have survived for a reason and that's because they have a keen sense of melodicism, which makes their songs almost annoyingly catchy. There's lots of groove all over No Regerts, too. There's no doubt that plenty of strippers will be gyrating all over their poles to these songs, because there is a bit of sexiness to 'em. While Dope are often classified in the nu metal category, the album is thankfully devoid of any rapping or chest-puffing bravado. There's just a lot of measured anger and some nasty riffs on "Addiction" and "Sick." Love them or hate them, you can't deny that Dope know how to fashion infectious choruses and singable anthems. These songs may not be up there with, say, the legends like Priest or Maiden or Slayer or Panetra, but Dope are making decent contributions to hard rock in general.

Chicks. Drugs. Rock n roll. Those are a few of the sordid and assorted topics that Edsel Dope addresses in his lyrics, which he delivers in his trademark, nasally yell. He's not trying to get all metaphysical or wax poetic about who, what, when, where and why or the meaning of life. As a result, songs like Addiction, where Mr. Wylde lends his handiwork, and "Dirty World" clamp their jaws down and address relationships, situation and problems we've all endured. We'll also give the band a few points for their cover of Billy Idol's "Rebel Yell," which is a Dope'afied yet loyal version of the original.

Dope deserves some credit. Having bounced around from label to label over the past few years, losing a few members, including Edsel's brother and former keyboardist Simon about a half a dozen years back, Dope have endured a lot of business situations that make being in a band a royal pain in the ass. But rather than bitch, moan and lament all these problems, Edsel Dope and his cohorts look forward instead of behind them and channel that general frustration into their music, which is undeniably memorable. The record may not garner a chapter in the heavy metal history books in a hundred years or so, but that's not the point. It's a decent record that will satisfy Dope fans with a hankering for raunchy rock 'n roll. There's metallic crunch, a whole bunch of testosterone and a shit ton of melody here for the taking.

kyngofhearts
    glad to see we can all read here on the internet
    evilbeavil
    davshu
    i love this cd...its very good. when i heard it i thought about pantera...favorite band... i dont really know much of their older stuff but i just bought felons and im wondering why people say it doesnt sound like manson...i like manson and i like felons but come on it sounds ALOT like manson...and to the cob haters...we cant have new guitar heros?
    owlman
    they sound nothin like manson wats u peoples issues they are awesome
    jak_daniels
    dope is a band ive been listening to for almost 2 years now, before no regrets i never got bored of their music. soon as no regrets came out i thought it was a great way they were going after tripp left due to those charges(****ing idiot). the guitar is better all around, the lyrics are good in a sense that, if im right, theyre doing the band to just blow out all the stress and shit thats happend in edsels, and the other members lives. i doubt this band is all about the fans, their just doing what they love, and in my opinion kicking some ass while their at it. and morefeen is right, if you dont consider these guys metal, your a pussy. go listen to some new slipknot and tell me what you think. put that on your plate and eat it.
    Morefeen
    This band is sick. This album is sick. If you don't think this is metal, you're obviously a total ****ing pussy, who's force fed bullshit fag tunes through Hot Topic that aren't even worth the plastic the disc is made of. So all the people here shitting on Dope, go ahead and have fun with your pre-processed bands that all have the same generic riffs smothered all over a pre-packaged guitar sound, and a whiny fag bitch frontman crying about some dumb ass shit that nobody cares about. Fuck CoB too, Alexi can go shove his has been sound up his ass.
    Morefeen
    strato77sphere
    Dope seems to be stepping it up now more than ever. Virus is a beast on this album. And every album has been great.
    LoweRider
    Peres.T.Peanut wrote: Aren't these guys some kind of bad rip-off of Marilyn Manson (I don't like Manson either)?
    That's a pretty low blow, considering Dope makes much better music than an emocore dressed "artist". Dope impressed me with this album. I thought previous albums like American Apathy and Life are better, but still a great CD. there heavy riffs and rhythm always gets me pumped up when Im in the gym and is awesome to listen to at home. Dope is a great METAL band. true_bacon22: I dont know why you dont consider Dope a metal band, but from that statement, I assume you listen to screamer music like BMTH or Children of Bodom.
    Jigsaw62
    evilbeavil wrote: kyngofhearts wrote: Jigsaw62 wrote: up there with slayer??? are you kidding me? why are they even in the same sentence as maiden, priest, and pantera. **** slayer. glad to see we can all read here on the internet its ironic, because YOU are the one that cant read.. the reviewer said "These songs may not be up there with, say, the legends like Priest or Maiden or Slayer or Panetra[sic].." jigsaw is merely stating that slayer shouldn't be mentioned alongside those "classic" bands because he feels they don't deserve to be i don't agree with him but at least i knew what he was talking about
    thank you sir. basically to the illiterate UGers, I was stating that slayer sucks and shouldn't be put near bands with talent... anyways...bought the album yesterday, its pretty good. lyrics need some work as usual with edsal, virus layed it down and overall not too bad. 8/10
    DrShreddington
    titter wrote: Addiction is a pretty good song tho...
    the lyrics in addiction are ****ing terrible
    DrShreddington
    titter wrote: Addiction is a pretty good song tho...
    the lyrics in addiction are ****ing terrible
    strat0blaster
    Someone wants to make sex0rz with Edsel Dope, review writer. This album is awful. Everything they've done after the first record was awful. It's still awful. Sorry.
    Jigsaw62
    skyfire322
    Very good write. The music is great but I just can't stand Edsel's lyrics. They got quite repetitive but Virus held it down. His music definitely made that record.
    Phe4rTheGod
    Listen to them...they sound nothing like Manson... This band isn't a musically solid band, they never intended to be...but they are a great party band, always good listening when drinking fast and heavy... Also, they throw some killer shows...
    awsomeguitarguy
    I think that dope is very good becuase all of their songs are solid you dont spend your time listening to them waiting for it to change and get to a next part, or you are never like "where are they going with this?" and the music doesnt confuse you, all of them are crisp and cut well, and I like that in a band.
    blasphemus666
    the songs are pretty good. nothin really out of the norm for dope. but thats cool. they couldve done a little better with the album cover though. a heart? please. waaayy to manson-esque.
    fartsyjoe420
    good review man, i liked that you gave them credit but didn't try to tell everyone that they're the best thing around. i'd give this album an 8/10 probably all around, because like lohnanmilitia said - you know what you're going to get with dope, but this record was a little more creative... at least in the musicianship/guitar work (some crazy, but short, solos and squeals virtually everywhere.) dopes lyrics are all pretty simple and to the point, but thats what makes them dope. i thought it was a great effort, and better than american apathy. very consistent and fun band.
    metallica2354
    Panetra? must be a new band i'll have to check em out! ha! but seriously i love dope and this album is right on track.
    Lohnanmilitia
    With dope, you usually know what you get, but this album is incredible!!! From the second 6 6 Sick came on til the very end. I was very impressed. THis shows a huge amount of growth while still keeping it fun. I think more true metal heads will appreciate them more after this.
    trendkill-
    lawl it says not up there with them
    Kastöm
    Where I come from, "decent contributions" is a fancy term for "music that is not good enough to take up space on my mp3 player". And thats exactly what no regrets is.